5G NTN Backhaul Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Architecture (Antenna Unit (AU), Radio Unit (RU)), By User Case (eMBB, MMTC, URLLC), By Platform (UAS Platform, LEO Satellite, MEO Satellite, GEO Satellite), By Location (Urban, Rural, Remote, Isolated), By End-Use (Space, Ground, Air, Maritime), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Oct 2023
- Report Code : KSI061616160
- Pages : 146
The global 5G Non-Terrestrial Networking (NTN) backhaul Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 58.47% to reach US$1,321.571 million by 2028, from US$83.447 million in 2023.
- Emergence of 5G technology
The advent of 5G technology has unlocked new opportunities to connect individuals and devices globally, 5G networks require substantial backhaul capacity, especially in configurations with numerous small cells. Satellite networks can serve as a centralized backhaul solution for tasks such as traffic offloading, edge processing, and resource management. Non-Terrestrial Network (NTN) systems can fulfill the need for ubiquitous connectivity by offering extensive coverage and guaranteeing service availability, continuity, and scalability. These NTN systems can also serve as an efficient backhaul solution for 5G networks, extending network reach, enhancing capacity, and ensuring dependable connectivity in remote or challenging-to-reach locations.
- In February 2023, Radisys Corporation, the leading provider of open telecom solutions, announced its 5G NR software solution compliant with Release 17, expanding upon its award-winning Release 16 Software with advanced features such as non-terrestrial networks (NTN) and integrated access and backhaul (IAB) for greater coverage.
Growing number of telco-satellite operator partnership
The telecommunications industry has rapidly embraced satellite communications (satcom) as industry stakeholders seek to tap into the potential of 5G non-terrestrial network (NTN) services. The emerging service focus of both industries has primarily been on delivering narrowband (NB)-NTN services directly to mobile and IoT devices via satellites. As the 5G NTN market continues to grow, more Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) are considering satellite solutions to expand their coverage.
- In 2022, MediaTek partnered with Rohde & Schwarz to showcase the capabilities of 5G NTN technology by enabling a smartphone to establish a 5G Non-Terrestrial Network (NTN) connection within a controlled laboratory setting. This demonstration highlighted the potential of extending fast and dependable 5G connectivity worldwide via satellite. The smartphone communicated data through a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite channel to ITRI's Next Generation NodeB network (gNB) test system.
- As of May 2023, recent data from the Global Mobile Suppliers Association (GSA) reveals a total of 49 publicly announced partnerships between telecommunications companies and satellite operators in 34 different countries.
REMARKABLE DEPLOYMENT OF 5G NTN IN SATELLITES
Satellites are becoming increasingly important in the realm of cellular communication technology, as highlighted in the 3GPP roadmap's Releases 16, 17, and 18. Using largely standard cellular devices, 5G NTN will enable seamless roaming between terrestrial and satellite networks. NTN has created an end-to-end mixed terrestrial and space lab-based testbed using a 5G network and real-world channel emulation hardware and software to accurately simulate a variety of orbit trajectories. The aerospace industry is expected to develop the fastest in this expanding market.
Based on the information provided by 5G Americas reports SpaceX leads the way in satellite deployment, with 12,000 satellites, followed by Starlink, which has deployed 3,580 LEO satellites. Satellite operators are actively using 5G NTN to enhance connectivity in the aerospace industry. This technology helps meet the increasing demand for high-speed and reliable connections, especially for streaming and data transmission in aviation and related sectors.
EMERGING OPPORTUNITIES IN THE 5G NTN BACKHAUL MARKET
This service operates by sending signals from ground-based mobile cell towers to one or more satellites in orbit, which subsequently bounce the signals back down to Earth. Satellite mobile backhaul can serve as a backup for conventional terrestrial backhaul infrastructure. Notably, T-Mobile, SpaceX's Starlink, AST SpaceMobile, and Lynk are prominent participants in the satellite connectivity sector for standard mobile devices.
- In September 2023, AST SpaceMobile, Inc. achieved a groundbreaking milestone in telecommunications, marking the first-ever 5G connection for both voice and data between a standard, unaltered smartphone and a satellite in space. This remarkable achievement highlights the company's dedication to advancing satellite-based mobile communication technologies.
- In February 2023, Samsung Electronics announced its acquisition of standardized 5G non-terrestrial network (NTN) modem technology. This technology enables direct communication between smartphones and satellites, particularly in remote regions. Samsung intends to incorporate this technology into its Exynos modem solutions, expediting the rollout of 5G satellite communications and preparing for the era of the Internet of Everything (IoE) driven by 6G technology.
- In September 2023, ZTE Corporation, a Chinese vendor, achieved an industry milestone by completing its 5G non-terrestrial network (NTN) deployment for a marine setting. This deployment took place in Zhoushan, Zhejiang province, in collaboration with China Telecom Zhejiang, China Telecom Satellite Communications, China Telecom R&D Institute, and SpaceIoT. ZTE's deployment allows for satellite-ground communication and data transmission in marine and remote island scenarios.
- In February 2023, MediaTek is set to showcase its groundbreaking 3GPP Non-Terrestrial Network (NTN) technology at MWC in Barcelona, Spain. This technology introduces bidirectional satellite communication capabilities to smartphones, marking the beginning of a transformative era in connectivity and unlocking fresh opportunities across various industries.
MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE MARKET
Some of the leading players in the market include Qualcomm, Samsung, and MediaTek among others. The product offerings of the major corporations include the following:
Qualcomm® 212S Modem
Qualcomm Technologies has recently introduced innovative 5G IoT-NTN modems in partnership with Skylo, a leading 5G NTN service provider. These modems are designed to deliver ultra-low power consumption and enhanced connectivity for Internet of Things (IoT) devices, functioning seamlessly across both satellite and cellular networks.
Samsung's RFICs function across a wide range of mmWave frequencies designated for 5G, offering strong transmit and receive capabilities while consuming minimal power. Building on the success of previous generations, the third-gen RFIC has been instrumental in deploying mmWave 5G for broadband and mobile services. This iteration will be integrated into the forthcoming 5G Compact Macro, facilitating dual-band support for the 28GHz and 39GHz spectrums.
The MediaTek MT6825 stands out as the globe's inaugural commercially accessible 5G IoT-NTN chipset. This chipset boasts the capability to link up with Geosynchronous Equatorial Orbit (GEO) constellations, which can be effortlessly transformed into 3GPP NTN compliant networks—a resource now prevalent in orbit. To deliver a smooth user experience, MT6825 empowers devices to autonomously receive messages from satellites, eliminating the need for manual message checks, a distinction from competing solutions.
The global 5G NTN Backhaul market has been analyzed through the following segments:
- By Architecture
- Antenna Unit (AU)
- Radio Unit (RU)
- By User Case
- By Platform
- UAS Platform
- LEO Satellite
- MEO Satellite
- GEO Satellite
- By Location
- By End-Use
- By Geography
- South Korea
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Market Segmentation
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Bandwidth Availability
4.4. Number of Users
5. GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS/POLICIES
6. 5G NON-TERRESTRIAL NETWORKING (NTN) MARKET, BY ARCHITECTURE
6.2. Antenna Unit (AU)
6.3. Radio Unit (RU)
7. 5G NON-TERRESTRIAL NETWORKING (NTN) MARKET, BY USE CASE
8. 5G NON-TERRESTRIAL NETWORKING (NTN) MARKET, BY PLATFORM
8.2. UAS Platform
8.2.1. LEO Satellite
8.2.2. MEO Satellite
8.2.3. GEO Satellite
9. 5G NON-TERRESTRIAL NETWORKING (NTN) MARKET, BY LOCATION
10. 5G NON-TERRESTRIAL NETWORKING (NTN) MARKET, BY END-USE
11. 5G NON-TERRESTRIAL NETWORKING (NTN) MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
11.2.1. United States
11.3. Europe, Middle East and Africa
11.4. Asia Pacific
11.4.3. South Korea
12. RECENT DEVELOPMENT AND INVESTMENTS
13. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
13.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
13.2. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
14. COMPANY PROFILES
14.2. Gatehouse Satcom A/S
14.3. MediaTek Inc.
14.5. OQ Technology
Gatehouse Satcom A/S
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|5G Antenna Market Size, Share & Trends: Report, 2023-2028||Aug 2023|
|5G Edge Computing Market Share & Share: Report, 2023-2028||Aug 2023|
|5G Segment Routing Market Size: Industry Report, 2023 - 2028||Nov 2023|
|5G Network And Service Assurance Market Size: Report, 2023 - 2028||Aug 2023|
|5G Enterprise Market Size, Share & Trends: Report, 2023-2028||Oct 2023|