5G Base Station Equipment Market Size, Share, Opportunities. And Trends By Deployment (Urban, Rural), By Architecture (AAU, BBU), By Technology (O-RAN, Traditional RAN), By Configuration (Standalone, Non-Standalone), And By Frequency Band (Sub-6 GHz, MmWave) And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Apr 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615196
- Pages : 145
The global 5G base station equipment market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 17.86% to reach US$43.273 billion by 2028, from US$16.144 billion in 2022.
- Government Initiatives
The growth of the 5G base station market has been propelled by the regular initiatives undertaken by the respective government bodies to prompt the deployment of 5G technology at a faster rate. For example, the total cost tag for 5G implementation in the EU could go over €400 billion. The EU allocated more than €4 billion in funding for 5G projects between 2014 and 2020. The EU’S policy framework related to 5G is composed of both legally binding (hard law) and non-binding (soft law) frameworks. The following figure shows the EU’s policy documents and key targets relating to the deployment and security of 5G.
5G KEY TARGETS CONCERNING DEPLOYMENT AND SECURITY, EUROPE
Consequently, in March 2020, the National Strategy to Secure 5G, which expands upon the National Cyber Strategy and outlines how the nation will protect 5G infrastructure both among the domestic territories and overseas, was developed by the White House. The associated Implementation Plan was published in January 2021. In addition, with the help of the National Strategy to Secure 5G and Implementation Plan, the United States is now on the right track to ensuring that the country is prepared to carry on with the development, implementation, and management of reliable and safe 5G.
Growing Investments and Faster Deployment of 5G Technology
The rollout of 5G technology can be witnessed in various developed as well as developing economies across the globe. For instance, in India, the roll-out of 5G began in October 2022 and the deployment is being undertaken at a much faster scale in comparison to 3G or 4G. According to the Ministry of Communication, India, 20,980 base stations were installed across 14 states/UTs by November 2022. With 5,829 base stations (938 Airtel and 4,891 Reliance Jio), Delhi has the most 5G base stations deployed followed by Maharashtra, with 4,051 base stations.
Furthermore, the faster deployment of 5G has also been prompted by growing investments by major telecom operators.
- For example, in July 2020, Qualcomm announced an investment of US$97.1 million in India’s Jio Platform. The investment was undertaken for the roll-out of advanced 5G infrastructure and services for the Indian audience.
- Moreover, in 2020, Ericsson delivered the USA’S first 5G base station to Verizon. The base station was manufactured in Ericsson’s new 5G production factory which was established in Texas. Ericsson’s smart factory is expected to bring the 5G revolution to the country.
EMERGING OPPORTUNITIES IN THE GLOBAL 5G BASE STATION EQUIPMENT MARKET
It is among the core elements of the 5G network. Connectivity, mobility, and user authentication, as well as other essential management functions, are implemented through Standalone (SA). Owing to its growing usage for the expansion of 5G technology, various market players are investing to expand their distribution networks as well as product portfolios. For instance,
- In October 2022, India’s telecom operator Jio selected Ericsson for its 5G SA rollout. The 5G network for Jio will be built with Ericsson's energy-efficient 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) products and solutions (from the Ericsson Radio System range).
- In February 2023, Orange announced the launch of its commercial 5G SA network in Spain. Only Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, and Seville will initially have access to its 5G+ service; further towns are anticipated to be introduced later this year. Due to the use of native 5G bands, indoor coverage will be better, there will be lower latency, devices will last longer and security will be improved, according to Orange.
The emergence of several base station regulations and standards, in addition to their transition to open systems, along with developments in hardware performance, has enabled the global adoption of Open RAN, permitting the procurement of equipment from many manufacturers. Various O-RAN tests have been announced for a better understanding of the current system.
- For instance, in March 2022, UK and Japan agreed to strengthen their cooperation in efforts to diversify the technology used in telecoms networks to support the move towards O-RAN. They agreed on several joint initiatives to support efforts to reduce the global overreliance on a small number of suppliers to build and maintain telecom networks.
- In January 2023, German operator 1&1 revealed plans to roll out its cloud-based Open RAN in additional locations across the nation in the upcoming weeks. The operator plans to roll out 5G (and 4G) services in a number of towns, including Hamburg, Essen, Düsseldorf, Wiesbaden, Mainz, Munich, and Freiburg, where nearly 50 masts are practically prepared.
The global 5G base station equipment market consists of some major countries that have been undertaking various measures to expand the deployment of 5G technology across their respective nations. A few of the major countries include the USA, the UK, Japan, and South Korea, among others. The countries have undertaken various measures for the faster deployment of 5G technology, thereby promoting the growth of the 5G base station market as well. For instance, in December 2020, the Spanish government invested 4.3 billion euros in the deployment of 5G technology. According to Telefonica’s Spanish business head, 6 billion euros are required for the deployment of 5G technology in the country. The Spanish politician Irene María Montero also added that the government expects that the market players will be investing approximately 24 billion euros in 5G.
MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE MARKET
Some of the leading players in the market include Ericsson, Nokia, Fujitsu, and NEC. These firms have undertaken various business strategies such as product launches, investments, and partnerships to expand their product offerings. For instance,
- In October 2021, Ericsson and PowerLight demonstrated the world’s first wireless powered 5G base station. Ericsson has partnered with American laser pioneer PowerLight Technologies to develop the first secure, completely wireless-powered 5G base station as a result of the company's ongoing search for new technology to enhance the implementation of Radio Access Network (RAN) sites.
- In December 2021, NEC entered into contracts with Docomo. Through the partnership alliance, NEC Corporation and Docomo have successfully tested for 5G standalone (SA) in Tokyo. The testing was done using a 5G base station baseband unit (5G CU/DU) that was conforming to radio units (RUs) and O-RAN open interface specifications.
The global 5G base station equipment market has been analyzed through the following segments:
- By Deployment
- By Architecture
- By Technology
- Traditional RAN
- By Configuration
- By Frequency Band
- Sub-6 GHz
- By Geography
- United States
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Market Segmentation
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Bandwidth Availability
4.4. Number of Users
5. GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS/POLICIES
6. GLOBAL 5G BASE STATION EQUIPMENT MARKET, BY DEPLOYMENT
7. GLOBAL 5G BASE STATION EQUIPMENT MARKET, BY ARCHITECTURE
8. GLOBAL 5G BASE STATION EQUIPMENT MARKET, BY TECHNOLOGY
8.3. Traditional RAN
9. GLOBAL 5G BASE STATION EQUIPMENT MARKET, BY CONFIGURATION
10. GLOBAL 5G BASE STATION EQUIPMENT MARKET, BY FREQUENCY BAND
10.2. Sub-6 GHz
11. GLOBAL 5G BASE STATION EQUIPMENT MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
11.2.1. United States
11.3. Europe, Middle East and Africa
11.4. Asia Pacific
11.4.3. South Korea
12. RECENT DEVELOPMENT AND INVESTMENTS
13. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
13.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
13.2. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
14. COMPANY PROFILES
14.3. Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Global 5G Services Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2022-2027||Jun 2022|
|Japan 5G Small Cell Market Size: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Feb 2023|
|5G Active Antenna Unit (AAU) Market Size: Report, 2023-2028||Apr 2023|
|5G NR RAN Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023 – 2028||Apr 2023|
|5G Network Security Market Size & Share, Industry Report, 2023 – 2028||Apr 2023|