Botulinum Toxin Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Application (Aesthetic, Therapeutic), By Product (Type A, Type B), By End-User (Hospitals, Specialty And Dermatology Clinics, Others), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Nov 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615633
- Pages : 150
The botulinum toxin market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.23% from US$5.650 billion in 2021 to US$8.625 billion in 2028.
Botulinum toxin is used in several medicinal and cosmetic products. Currently, type A and type B are common in commercial usage. The diversified application of botulinum toxin and increasing demand, especially in the cosmetic industry is expected to boost the botulinum toxic market. Further, the growing number of migraine cases coupled with increased awareness about the medicinal and cosmetic benefits is another major growth driver in the botulinum toxic market. Additionally, the government approval for the use of botulinum toxin in several diseases is also widening the botulinum toxin market size.
- Diversified application of botulinum toxin
Botulinum toxin is used for several purposes leading to higher demand and botulinum toxin market growth. The medicinal application of botulinum toxin is muscle spasticity in body parts such as the head and neck, eyelid, vagina, limbs, jaw, and vocal cords can be treated with botulinum toxin. In 2016, abobotulinumtoxinA (Dysport) was approved by the FDA for the treatment of lower limb spasticity in pediatric patients. AbobotulinumtoxinA also helps in treating excessive sweat in the underarms. Botulin toxin is also used in the cosmetic industry to reduce facial wrinkles. Moreover, it is used to treat neuropathic pain, and chronic pain in shoulders and improves range of motion which is further expected to propel the botulinum toxin market size.
- Increasing demand in the cosmetic industry
The use of botulinum toxin in the cosmetic industry is increasing with the growing and aging population. It is used to reduce facial wrinkles through plastic surgery which is a natural part of aging. According to The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, surgery procedures by plastic surgeons increased by 19.3% in 2021 as compared to 2020 including more than 12.8 million surgical and 17.5 million non-surgical procedures worldwide. This increase in facial surgery indicates the botulinum toxin market growth. Moreover, the rising aging population is also contributing to the botulinum toxin market with older people wanting a youthful face. For instance, people above 60 years or older will reach 2.1 billion by 2050 from 1.4 billion in 2020 as per the WHO estimation.
- Rising migraine cases to bolster market expansion.
Botox injection (OnabotulinumtoxinA) is used to prevent migraine headaches. It was approved in 2010 for migraine treatment usage., According to the American Migraine Foundation, nearly 1 billion people worldwide are suffering from migraine currently and it is the second leading cause of all global disability. The huge migraine-affected population contributes heavily to the botulinum toxin market growth.
- Opportunities in the Market
The growing aging population and diversified application of botulinum toxin in the medicinal and cosmetic industry provide an excellent opportunity for botulinum toxin market expansion. Moreover, the product launches and FDA approval for Type A and Type B botulinum toxin in the cosmetic and therapeutic sector are further expected to boost the botulinum toxin market thereby providing a good opportunity. Additionally, the rising disposable income of people is pushing the demand for botox surgical and non-surgical procedures as more people are inclined to look good with the rising usage of social media and self-image enhancement.
- Side effects of botulinum toxin to hinder the market growth
Apart from the diverse beneficial applications of botulinum toxin, a few associated side effects are limiting the botulinum toxin market growth. The side effects in the cosmetic industry include temporary facial paralysis, muscle weakness, and trouble swallowing if injected into the wrong facial muscles. Moreover, it can also cause headaches, flu-like symptoms, and allergic reactions. The side effects in the therapeutic industry may be caused in case of excess dosage leading to serious health problems such as heart attack, respiratory arrest, seizures, and arrhythmia. Additionally, strict government regulation acts as an entry barrier until the proper fulfilment of the required criteria limits the botulinum toxin market prospects.
North America is expected to be a significant botulinum market.
The North American region is expected to contribute significantly to the global botulinum toxin market during the forecasted period. The factors attributed to such a share are the higher number of migraine cases in the region and highly advanced research programs. Currently, 39 million Americans live with migraine which means it affects 1 in 4 households in the US as per the American Migraine Foundation. Additionally, the strong healthcare system and FDA regulations provide an immense growth prospect for the botulinum toxin market in the region. For instance, the FDA approved the label expansion of Botox® to add new eight muscles for the treatment of upper limb spasticity in July 2021.
Botulinum Toxin Market Players
- Evolus Inc. is a skin performance company. The company provides Jeuveau® medicine for the improvement of severe frown lines between the eyebrows in adults. A comparative study was conducted between prabaotulinumtoxinA and onabotulinumtoxinA for the treatment of glabellar lines in adult patients in 2020.
- Galderma is a Swiss pharmaceutical company focusing on advancing dermatology for every skin. The company provides skin solutions through botulinum toxin aesthetics to relax, refine, and renew facial muscles. Restylane® Eyelight™ is offered by the company to reduce dark under-eye shadows.
- Revance Therapeutics focuses on therapeutic and innovative aesthetic offerings. Company’s Daxxify injection to improve severe to moderate glabellar lines is approved by the FDA. It is the first peptide-formulated neuromodulator with long-lasting results.
Key Market Developments
- In December 2022, Zarbot (Botulinum Toxin Type A) injection made in India was introduced by Gufic Biosciences Limited. When compared to other botulinum toxin brands, it has higher stability because it was made utilizing a pure HALL strain and patented method, which resulted in thin film formulation.
- In October 2022, after submitting the BLA for Botulax (50 and 100 units) to move into the U.S. market in March of last year, Hugel obtained a Complete Response Letter (CRL) from the American Food and Drug Administration. Hugel anticipated entering the American market in the first half of 2023.
- In June 2021, Galderma announced the completion of a decentralized trial in Europe for the first ready-to-use liquid BoNT-A neuromodulator Alluzience™. It is designed to be used in adult patients to temporarily improve the glabellar lines.
Botulinum Toxin Market Scope:
|Market Size Value in 2021||US$5.650 billion|
|Market Size Value in 2028||US$8.625 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 6.23% from 2021 to 2028|
|Forecast Period||2023 – 2028|
|Forecast Unit (Value)||USD Billion|
|Segments Covered||Application, Product, End-User, and Geography|
|Regions Covered||North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific|
|Companies Covered||Revance Therapeutics Inc, Medy-Tox, Inc., Galderma, Abbvie Inc (Allergan), Ipsen Group, Merz Pharma Gmbh And Co. Kgaa, Hugel, Inc., Evolus Inc.|
|Customization Scope||Free report customization with purchase|
- By Application
- By Product
- Type A
- Type B
- By End-User
- Specialty and Dermatology Clinics
- By Geography
- North America
- United States
- South America
- United Kingdom
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Scope of the Study
1.4. Market Segmentation
1.7. Base, and Forecast Years Timeline
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. BOTULINUM TOXIN MARKET, BY APPLICATION
6. BOTULINUM TOXIN MARKET, BY PRODUCT
6.2. Type A
6.3. Type B
7. BOTULINUM TOXIN MARKET, BY END-USER
7.3. Specialty and Dermatology Clinics
8. BOTULINUM TOXIN MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
8.2. North America
8.2.1. United States
8.3. South America
8.4.1. United Kingdom
8.5. The Middle East and Africa
8.5.1. Saudi Arabia
8.6. Asia Pacific
8.6.4. South Korea
9. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
9.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
9.2. Market Share Analysis
9.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
10. COMPANY PROFILES
10.1. Revance Therapeutics Inc
10.2. Medy-Tox, Inc.
10.4. Abbvie Inc (Allergan)
10.5. Ipsen Group
10.6. Merz Pharma Gmbh and Co. Kgaa
10.7. Hugel, Inc.
10.8. Evolus Inc.
Revance Therapeutics Inc
Abbvie Inc (Allergan)
Merz Pharma Gmbh and Co. Kgaa
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Short Bowel Syndrome Market Size: Industry Report, 2023 - 2028||Oct 2023|
|Chronic Wound Care Market Size: Industry Report, 2023 - 2028||Nov 2023|
|Hemophilia Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023 - 2028||Nov 2023|
|Glaucoma Market Size, Share & Trends: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Nov 2023|
|Palliative Care Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Oct 2023|