Global Paper Coating Materials Market Size, Share, Opportunities, COVID-19 Impact, And Trends By Product (Kaolin Clay, Titanium Dioxide, Calcium Carbonate (Ground Calcium Carbonate, Precipitated Calcium Carbonate), Starch, Others), By Coating Method (One Side, Both Sides), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2022 To 2027
- Published : Oct 2022
- Report Code : KSI061611989
- Pages : 142
The global paper coating material market size is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.91% to reach US$2.506 billion by 2027, from US$1.792 billion in 2020.
The materials that are used to apply a base coat on different types and grades of paper in order to improve their technical and physical properties such as brightness, smoothness, and glossiness, among others, are called paper coating materials.
The popularity of paper coating materials is increasing in different industries, including the paper industry, in order to provide better quality paper to different end-users and consumers, which does not deteriorate easily and is able to retain and show properties such as better ink binding and anti-blister properties. In addition, there are rising concerns among the different end-users about deploying eco-friendly and sustainable packaging solutions for their premium and perishable products, which is also being supported by the rising penetration and popularity of e-retail and e-commerce channels. These services are being used by the population to purchase different products such as consumer electronics, cosmetics, and personal care items, among others. Therefore, these factors are leading to the faster adoption of paper coating products and chemicals and are playing a role in augmenting the market’s growth over the forecast period.
Product offerings by major market players in the paper coating material market
The market players are highly active in the market by offering and making available a variety of paper coating materials with enhanced and advanced flavours and textures in order to cater to the rising demands from different distribution channels. This in turn helps them improve their market position and they are contributing to the market growth over the forecast period.
Some of examples of product launches and offerings are as follows:
- Michelman, inc., is considered one of the leading companies dealing in the manufacture of chemical materials and also offers paper converting and corrugated chemical compounds. Some of the products that are offered under their product portfolio are, Micryl 766RN, Michem Coat 218CI4 AFN, HydraBan 1000AF, HydraBan 708, and Michem Coat 90 among others. The product Micryl 766RN, is a type of water-based coating, with excellent flexo-run ability. It is made to be used in non-clay-coated paper films or foils or under tins that are not made using glycol or do contain wax. The product Michem® Coat 218CI4 AFN is also a type of water-based coating that is known for its grease and oil resistance. This is a contact-based coating and inhibits corrosion of sensitive papers, however, for that it should be directly in contact with the surface it is protecting. The product HydraBan 1000AF is a cost-effective and affordable coating option for use in Kraft paper applications. Other products also have distinct features and find applications in the coating of paper.
- Eastman Chemical Company, which is involved in the manufacture and sale of different types of chemicals for various end-user industries offers paper coating chemicals and compounds also some of the products include, Abalyn - D-E Methyl Ester of Rosin among other products. This product is an amber-coloured, near-neutral tacky, and viscous fluid. In addition, it is resinous with a high refractive index, thus, its variety of physical properties makes it usable in applications such as adjuvants, adhesives, and sealants, bookbinding applications paper coating as labels on food, and beverage packets, and fil modification among other applications.
- BASF SE, which is considered one the leading companies dealing in the provision of different solutions such as paints and coatings, automotive, furniture, and construction solutions, among others offers a range of products under their paper coatings portfolio. Some of the products under this portfolio include a binder, additives, barrier coating solutions, and paperboard and corrugated board solutions. The binder’s product line includes, “ACRONAL”, and “BASONAL” among others. The first product offered is the type of aqueous dispersion based on copolymers, which consist of acrylic esters and styrene with approximately 50% content. These types of binders are used in order to improve the print evenness of the paper and also enable other characteristics of papers, such as binding performance and excellent runability. The other product offered is a binder that can be customized and tailor-made according to the needs of the customer with specific performance requirements. It is used in order to improve the binding power, blister resistance, and printing properties, among other technical grade papers.
The Asia-Pacific regions are estimated to hold a noteworthy market share and show modest growth throughout the forecast period owing to the rising number of construction activities and the requirement of corrugated boxes for packaging purposes by the consumer electronics industry.
The Asia-Pacific region is estimated to hold a noteworthy share and show modest growth over the forecast period. This is attributed to the fact that there is rising demand from different industries for applications such as paint additives and paper coatings owing to rising construction activities and the building of residential areas due to the rising population in countries such as India and China. Moreover, the well-established consumer electronics industry in China is increasing its production due to the rising demand for electronic devices, among other products, being facilitated by the rising disposable income of the low-income and middle-income populations. These factors are also leading to an increase in the demand for paper coating for corrugated paper boxes for packaging purposes.
Recent development and expansion
- Fraunhofer Institute announces a new research project in September 2022 to assist in the design of recyclable bio-based coatings for paper packaging. It aims to identify the relationships between a coating's barrier effect and its recyclability in order to increase the market potential for bio-based paper coatings in sustainable packaging.
- Zenji Hiroi of Japan's Institute for Solid State Physics and his colleagues discovered a way to imbue relatively sustainable paper materials with some of the useful properties of plastic in May 2022. The team created Choetsu, a coating that not only waterproofs paper but also keeps it flexible while degrading safely.
- Lactips collaborates with CITEO to develop a Plastic Free Paper coating solution in October 2021. The paper packaging coating is entirely bio-sourced and completely replaces the plastics and chemical treatments that are normally required for sealable packaging papers.
Covid 19 impact on Paper Coating Materials Market
The Covid-19 pandemic had a negative impact on the global paper coating materials market due to the implementation of a global lockdown, which halted all manufacturing operations around the world, particularly in the initial period. Moreover, the packaging industry was severely hampered due to supply chain disruptions, production facility closures, raw material shortages, and a lack of labour force, which had a direct impact on the global paper-coating materials market. Furthermore, the market experienced a significant drop in demand for consumer goods and raw materials from various industries in various regions resulting in the loss of corrugated packaging manufacturers, and lowering demand for paper coating materials during the pandemic.
Global Paper Coating Materials Market Scope:
|Market Size Value in 2020||US$1.792 billion|
|Market Size Value in 2027||US$2.506 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 4.91% from 2020 to 2027|
|Forecast Unit (Value)||USD Billion|
|Segments Covered||Product, Coating Method, And Geography|
|Regions Covered||North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific|
|Companies Covered||Omya AG, Michelman, inc., ARCHROMA, DuPont, Asia Pulp & Paper (APP) Sinar Mas, Eastman Chemical Company, BASF SE, Ingredion, The Chemours Company, NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.|
|Customization Scope||Free report customization with purchase|
- By Product
- Kaolin Clay
- Titanium dioxide
- Calcium carbonate
- Ground Calcium Carbonate
- PrecipitatedCalcium Carbonate
- By Coating Method
- One Side
- Both Sides
- By Geography
- North America
- South America
- United Kingdom
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Covid 19 Scenario
1.3. Market Definition
1.4. Market Segmentation
2. Research Methodology
2.1. Research Data
3. Executive Summary
3.1. Research Highlights
4. Market Dynamics
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. Global Paper Coating Material Analysis, By Product
5.3. Titanium dioxide
5.4. Calcium carbonate
5.4.1. Ground Calcium Carbonate
5.4.2. Precipitated Calcium Carbonate
6. Global Paper Coating Material Analysis, By Coating Method
6.2. One Side
6.3. Both Sides
7. Global Paper Coating Material Market Analysis, By Geography
7.2. North America
7.3. South America
7.4.3. United Kingdom
7.5. Middle East and Africa
7.5.1. Saudi Arabia
7.6. Asia Pacific
7.6.3. South Korea
8. Competitive Environment and Analysis
8.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
8.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
8.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
8.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
9. Company Profiles
9.1. Omya AG
9.2. Michelman, inc.
9.5. Asia Pulp & Paper (APP) Sinar Mas
9.6. Eastman Chemical Company
9.7. BASF SE
9.9. The Chemours Company
9.10. NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.
Asia Pulp & Paper (APP) Sinar Mas
Eastman Chemical Company
The Chemours Company
NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Paints and Coatings Market Size & Share: Report, 2021-2026||Aug 2021|
|Coated Paper Market Size & Growth: Industry Report, 2021-2026||Nov 2021|
|Smart Coatings Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Feb 2023|
|Paper Pigments Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023 - 2028||Mar 2023|
|Green Coating Market Size & Share: Industry Analysis, 2019-2024||May 2021|