High Electron Mobility Transistor Market Size, Share, Opportunities, COVID-19 Impact, And Trends By Type (Gallium Nitriude (GaN), Silicon Carbide (SiC), Gallium Arsenide (GaAs), Others), By End-User (Consumer Electronics, Automotives, Aerospace And Defense, Others), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Feb 2023
- Report Code : KSI061614312
- Pages : 135
A high electron mobility transistor (HEMT) is a field-effect transistor that combines a junction between two kinds with distinct band gaps as the channel. A HEMT device's major properties are the ability to operate at higher frequencies, which expands its uses in high-frequency devices.
Ample investments and improvements of HEMTs by key companies are projected to boost the HEMT market's growth. Furthermore, the strong demand for innovative HEMT technologies in the aerospace and military industries, as well as the automotive sector, is predicted to provide profitable prospects for the worldwide high electron mobility transistor business to expand.
The increasing demand for high electron mobility transistors in the automotive industry will boost the market share.
The increasing end-user applications by diverse industries have led companies to launch innovative products which have significantly transformed the market to develop for the upcoming years. Due to their high internal frequency switching, HEMT circuits are now in great demand in spacecraft because they reduce the size of related components such as inductors, converters, resistors, and capacitors. Furthermore, advances in artificial intelligence and its incorporation with consumer technology have resulted in the development of a wide range of goods, including smart speakers, smart lighting, and other smart home devices.
For instance, in March 2021, Bangalore scientists invented a very dependable High Electron Mobility Transistor (HEMT) that runs at 600V and can switch currents up to 4A. This first indigenous HEMT device composed of gallium nitride (GaN) is beneficial in electric automobiles, locomotives, power transmission, and other fields needing high high-frequency and high-voltage switching, lowering the cost of importing such robust and efficient transistors necessary in power electronics.
For efficient switching performance, power electronic systems require high blocking voltage in the off-state and high current in the on-state. Specific transistors known as HEMTs built of aluminum gallium nitride/gallium nitride (AlGaN/GaN) give an advantage over silicon-based transistors because they allow systems to work at very voltage spikes, switch ON and OFF faster, and operate at lower temperatures.
The rising demand for the market from the military and aviation industries
The spacecraft industry has seen an increase in demand for high electron mobility transistor circuits. A similar tendency has been observed as demand for consumer electronics items that employ high electron mobility transistor circuits has increased.
For instance, in December 2021, Microchip Technology, a producer of embedded solutions, extended its portfolio of Gallium Nitride (GaN) RF power devices with new monolithic microwave integrated circuits (MMICs) and discrete transistors aimed at applications such as 5G and a variety of aerospace and defense use cases. The new GaN MMICs have frequency ranges ranging from 2 GHz to 20 GHz, and they combine high power-added efficiency (PAE), high linearity to improve performance, and discrete high electron mobility transistor (HEMT) devices. The devices are made with GaN-on-silicon carbide technology, which offers the optimum combination of high efficiency and yield, as well as high-voltage functioning and a lifetime of more than 1 million hours at a junction temperature of 255o C.
Furthermore, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation announced in December 2022 that two additional 12.75-13.25 GHz (Low-Ku band) 70W (48.3dBm) gallium-nitride high-electron-mobility transistors (GaN HEMTs) for satellite-communication (SATCOM) earth stations were introduced to the company's GaN HEMT range.
North America holds a considerable share during the forecast period.
North America is the main area that has contributed to the high electron mobility transistor market's expansion. North America is the market's dominant region, owing to expanding consumer electronics demand and increased investment by nations such as the United States. Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing area due to increased government incentives to create new technologies such as High Electron Mobility Transistors (HEMT).
Market Key Developments
- In June 2021, STi2GaN, which means ST Intelligent and Integrated GaN, is a new family of GaN components that was launched by STMicroelectronics. The parts utilize ST's bond-wire-free packaging technique to guarantee robustness and dependability. The new product family intends to take use of GaN's excellent power density and efficiency to provide a variety of 100 and 650-V high-electron-mobility transistor (HEMT) products.
- In December 2021, Microchip Technology announced the addition of additional MMICs and discrete transistors to its Gallium Nitride (GaN) Radio Frequency (RF) power device line, covering frequencies up to 20 GHz. The devices possess higher power-added efficiency (PAE) and linearity to enable new levels of performance in a wide range of applications, including 5G, electronic warfare, satellite systems, commercial and defense radar systems, and testing equipment.
- In October 2022, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. created a gallium nitride transistor (GaN-HEMT) that utilizes N-polar GaN and the globe's first hafnium (Hf)-based, highly heat-resistant, elevated material for the gate-insulating layer, with an eye toward the post-5G era, that will enable even significantly larger capacity and high-speed communication services. GaN-HEMTs are common in high-frequency amplification applications, such as 5G. Transistors used in communication devices would be required to provide more power and higher frequencies in the future post-5G era to enable an increasing volume of data transfer.
High Electron Mobility Transistor Market Scope:
|Growth Rate||CAGR during the forecast period|
|Forecast Unit (Value)||USD Billion|
|Segments Covered||Type, End-User, And Geography|
|Regions Covered||North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific|
|Companies Covered||Qorvo, Infineon, Mitsubishi, Microsemi, STMicroelectronics, NXP Semiconductors, Wolfspeed, Renesas Electronics, Ampleon|
|Customization Scope||Free report customization with purchase|
The high electron mobility transistor market has been analysed through the following segments:
- By Type
- Gallium Nitriude (GaN)
- Silicon Carbide (SiC)
- Gallium Arsenide (GaAs)
- By End-user
- Consumer electronics
- Aerospace and Defense
- By Geography
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Scope of the Study
1.4. Market Segmentation
1.7. Base, and Forecast Years Timeline
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Market Opportunities
4.4. Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.4.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.5. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. HIGH ELECTRON MOBILITY TRANSISTOR MARKET ANALYSIS, BY TYPE
5.2. Gallium Nitriude (GaN)
5.3. Silicon Carbide (SiC)
5.4. Gallium Arsenide (GaAs)
6. HIGH ELECTRON MOBILITY TRANSISTOR MARKET ANALYSIS, BY END-USER
6.2. Consumer electronics
6.4. Aerospace and Defense
7. HIGH ELECTRON MOBILITY TRANSISTOR MARKET ANALYSIS, BY GEOGRAPHY
7.2. North America
7.3. South America
7.5. Middle East and Africa
7.5.1. Saudi Arabia
7.6. Asia Pacific
7.6.4. South Korea
8. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
8.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
8.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
8.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
8.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
9. COMPANY PROFILES
9.6. NXP Semiconductors
9.8. Renesas Electronics
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Next Generation Transistors Market Size: Report, 2022-2027||Nov 2022|
|Global IGBT Market Size, Share & Growth: Industry Report, 2021-2026||Dec 2021|
|Small Signal Transistors Market Size: Industry Report, 2019 - 2024||May 2021|
|Power Transistors Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2019-2024||Jun 2021|
|Bipolar Junction Transistor Market Size: Industry Report, 2023 – 2028||Feb 2023|