Food Inclusions: You Simply Can’t Bunk Those Small Chunks
Savory or sweet, confectionary or boulangerie, for domestic consumption or for commercial consumption, the chips & nibs, flakes & crunches, liquid, nuts, pieces and powder that we come across while we indulge in our gastronomic endeavors not only enables us to experience the flavorful magnificence achieved by a maestro but aid s us to reach the crescendo of our sensorial pleasures through enhanced textures, rich colors. Edible sparkles, candies, chocolate chips take our experience of celebration to unprecedented heights every year. Bedsides the aspects of texture, color and flavor it also plays another role of increasing the health profile of the main food product especially considering fruits and nuts. Furthermore, to retain existing consumers and woo in the new generation of consumers, food service companies and food and beverage producers are increasingly resorting to a variety of food inclusion.
Secondly, the current generations of consumers have a proclivity to shift away heavily processed food and artificially sweetened beverages and favor the ones that they perceived to be healthy and natural. Besides, the aspects of the global dietary patterns, especially in urban and peri-urban areas have significantly transitioned into veganism and what is being increasingly known as flexitarian. Apart from the aspect of convenience, identity, taste, and value, the has been an increasing consideration of the degree of the ethics that food products resonate and the benefits that one can derive from consuming the food and /or beverage concerned. This is too has led to a change that is taking place in the food inclusion sectors that is leading to growing premiumization of the same.
The response to this demand could be met simply by adding 100 % pure chocolate or by increasing the amount of plant-based inclusions. Speaking of plant-based inclusions there has been a lot of interest in what is known as the fifth taste or the fifth flavor – the umami flavor. Mushrooms have been known to impart this kind of flavor which is being increasingly added to vegetarian and vegan products for that has become increasingly recognized for its meaty- savory flavor. It is a quite common addition to sauces, soups and meat pies. Thus, expanding preferences in food and beverage that spill over the traditional national geographical boundaries, evolving consumer demographics, changing consumption patterns, among others are poised to drive the food inclusions market growth.
The key competitive strategies in the food inclusions market
There also has been an uptick in food inclusions that contribute multisensorial experiences to the consumers. Among them is the preference of filled inclusions that offer a variety of textures and levels of creaminess to the consumer which simultaneously are helping the bakery and confectionary segment as well as the frozen dessert segment to diversify their portfolio of products. Concomitantly the newer varieties of food inclusions are also being carefully considered to ensuring that the nutritional profile of their products does not get affected. Thus, within such expanding market players are increasingly engaging in competitive strategies enabling themselves to be at the forefront of this market. Further, the various acquisitions, expansions and new launches indicated by the instances provided below clearly indicate that the food inclusions market is going to grow during the forecast period augmenting the food and beverage global segment.
- To this instance, in 2020 February, Puratos, a manufacturer of food ingredients that is headquartered in Belgium announced the launch of a new range of food inclusions that will reportedly contribute a creamy texture and rich taste, called Smoobees. These soft beads will allow the bakers to add the aforesaid characteristics to their products without injections equipment thereby enabling the baker to adapt to the variation in consumer demand without any overhaul or any major investment in their production processes.
- Further, in 2019, Meadow Foods acquired the Welsh decorations, toppings, and inclusions firm Nimbus Foods to expand its product portfolio. The acquisition included the BRC AA grade factory that is reputed for supplying food manufacturers worldwide across categories such as bakery, confectionaries, ice creams, desserts, and cereals.
- Further in the same year during June, Denali Ingredients announced that it will be expanding its food ingredients manufacturing capabilities by opening a 98,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in New Berlin that is set to produce a new range of baked inclusions. These inclusions will comprise brownie and cheesecake pieces intended to be used in ice cream and other sweet snacks. This expansion has been reported to double the production space and enhance the organization’s production flow of its present products like bark, bits, doughs, flakes.
- Besides, a business unit of Glanbia P.L.C. Glanbia Nutritionals, Fitchburg, Wisconsin a nutritional ingredients and cheese business, introduced its crunchie milk protein crisps through which a healthy dose of protein is offered as well. These inclusions can be customized to various sizes and pave new avenues for nutrition confections, bars, trail mixes, and new snack formats. This offering has been made possible with the acquisition of Watson, Inc. a manufacturer and supplier of custom nutrient premixes, bakery ingredients, edible films, and material conditioning products, which is based out of Connecticut.
- Earlier in 2017, a global private equity firm The Riverside Co. had agreed to acquire Parker Products the maker of inclusions and other specialty ingredients primarily used in baking, dairy, confectionery, beverage, and foodservice industries. Through this acquisition, the objective of The Riverside Co. is to augment its growing portfolio of specialty food companies that included its Nustef Foods, Tate’s Bake Shop, Uinta Brewing Co. and YumEarth.
Thus, from the aforesaid, it could be discerned with certitude that food inclusions are nor more restricted to the glittery elements of your go-to product to woo in consumers from their respective shelves or web adverts. They have grown into a much functional role that led the product developers to add new kind of inclusions that ranges from seeds, nuts, fruits as well as vegetables. In this manner, the various players in the market are innovating a convenient way to add nutrition to retain the clean label of their products as well as to retain their perception among the health-savvy and value-driven consumers.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!