Wireless Power Transmission – A Key Technology for Industries
Wireless Power Transmission, which is also referred to as wireless energy transmission or electromagnetic power transfer, is a technology that facilitates the transfer of energy or power from a device that is known as the transmitter to the other device, which is known as the receiver without making use of the wires or any other linkage between the two elements. Wireless transmission products are used in different end-user industries such as automotive, consumer electronics, healthcare to deliver or transfer power over different ranges such as short-range transfer, which is mostly used for charging phones or other devices, medium-range and long-range.
The power can be transferred over short distances by the making use of near field transfer technology that is completed by the alternating electric fields and capacitive coupling between the metal electrodes. However, the most common method used for facilitating the wireless power transfer is inductive coupling, which is used to charge different types of devices such as smartphones, shavers, implantable medical devices, prosthesis among other devices, and can successively operate at a distance of up to 20 m. Wireless Power Transfer is used for different applications such as telemetry, satellite communications, and radio frequency identification (RFID) tags. The power transferred in most of the applications is low and is measured in micro or milliwatts, whereas, in high power applications, the power I measured in kilowatts. The most common method that is used is through inductive coupling.
Wireless Power Transmission Market Trends
- There is a rising concern among the energy and electrical grid operators in order to effectively manage and maintain the power distribution and transmission systems such as smart grids, smart meters, appliances among other components and products so as to reduce the operational costs, to increase the productivity and reduce the power wastage during the transmission of energy or power. Therefore, this is leading to an increase in the demand for wireless power transmission systems and propelling the Wireless Power Transmission market growth.
- The rising applications wireless power transmission is able to cater to are opening up new avenues in the automotive industry such as the probable charging of electric cars or other devices that facilitate deriver assistance or aid in driver safety. These factors are providing an opportunity for the market player to invest and contribute to the growth of the market over the forecast period.
- There is an increase in the production of different types of consumer electronics that are equipped with the latest technologies including wireless charging mechanisms being manufactured by leading companies such as Samsung, Huawei, and Xiaomi, that the consumers are purchasing owing to the increasing spending power. This is stemming from the increasing income in the middle and ow0cinome population due to improving job roles, more workload, and industrial development and thereby leading to developments and growth of the energy and power sector.
Product Launches by Industry Players in Wireless Power Transmission Market Landscape
Moreover, the industry players are increasingly participating in the market to advance and enhance the Wireless Power Transmission solutions in order to effectively transfer energy and power without wasting and efficiently facilitating the operations. Thus, they are involved in product launches and offerings to accelerate the development of the automobile industry, thereby boosting their market position and contributing to increasing the Wireless Power Transmission market size.
- Recently, In May 2020, TransferFi Pte, a company that is involved in the provision of announced that they developed a wireless charging solution called the “TranferFi wireless power network (TFi WPN)”. This product has been developed for the purpose of powering up and charging different sensors that are at a distance of up to 55 meters. This product enables and facilitates cost-saving and cabling costs that the different end-users have to incur. The TFi uses the gateway Max Turin-1 has a range of up to 32 TFi Sense devices via using the multichannel beamforming technology and has been powered by the Arm Cortex-M4.
- In October 2018, IDT, one of the leading companies that are involved in the manufacture of for different industries, announced the launch of their new product, a turnkey CRB (Customer Reference Board), which is called the “P9621-3C-CRB” reference kit. This product is developed for use in automotive equipment applications. It consists of a three-coil Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) Tx-type reference board with a receiver board with a power of 15-2. It is based on the chipset of their older product called the “P9261 AEC-Q100”, which has the PWC qualified MP-A13 3-coil transmitter. In addition, this product has been developed in accordance and compliance with the grade 2 automotive standards, fulfills the AEC-Q100 requirements, and displays the CISPR-25 EMI/EMC performance.
- In September 2019, Xiaomi, which is one the most popular company dealing in the manufacture and sale of consumer electronics products with the top quality feature as and are available at affordable prices, announced the launch of their new products which included the first 30W wireless fast charger. This charger offers fast charging capabilities, reverse charging capabilities (i.e., the device is able to turn into a charger) and their new and upcoming phone will be equipped with this technology. The charger is able to charge a 4000 mAh battery up to 50 percent in 25 minutes and 100 percent in about 69 minutes.
The use of advanced and enhanced wireless power transmission solutions is gaining traction and popularity from the last few years owing to the vast number of benefits and other extended features. These solutions are able to provide to the different end-user industries and power grid operators, which is leading to the increasing adoption of these solutions by companies in their product portfolios. The current market trends show that the usage of the solutions is going to increase with more new and enhanced features being included integrated into these systems such as NFC, among some other further technologies, which will not only make the energy transfer process efficient, and make the energy losses insignificant. Hence, the increasing number of applications of the WPT technology will allow the new entrants to influence and contribute to the market growth, which will play a major role in fuelling the market growth over the common g years and keep the market competitive over the forecast period.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!