Distributed Energy Resource Management System Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Resource Type (Solar PV, Wind Turbine, Battery Storage, Others), By Distribution Type (Radial, Ring, Interconnected), By Component (Hardware, Software), By End-User (Residential, Commercial, Industrial), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Jul 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615837
- Pages : 128
The distributed energy resource management system market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 18.57% over the forecast period, increasing from US$280.409 million in 2021 to a total market size of US$923.881 million by 2028.
A distributed energy resource management system (DERMS) is a software platform specifically designed to coordinate the functioning of aggregated distributed energy resources (DER) within a power grid. Most commonly, these systems find their application at the level of the distribution grid. The components of a DERMS can be categorized into both software and hardware elements. Distributed energy resource management systems industry is primarily driven by the surge in factors such as ongoing grid modernization initiatives and the growing adoption of renewable energy sources.
Ongoing grid modernization bolsters the distributed energy resource management system market.
Grid modernization aims to enhance the adaptability, resilience, and efficiency of power networks. Distributed energy resource management system enables this modernization by coordinating and managing distributed energy resources such as solar, wind, and storage assets, ensuring optimal use and effective load balancing. The global push for sustainable energy, coupled with technological advances and regulatory support, is driving the growth of grid modernization. According to the N.C. Clean Energy Technology Center, In the third quarter of 2022, there were 441 instances of actions taken towards modernizing the grid in the United States of America. The states leading this charge, with the most actions during this period, were California, New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, Illinois, Connecticut, and Hawaii.
Increased adoption of renewable energy drives market expansion.
Distributed energy resource management systems are utilized in renewable energy generation to efficiently manage and integrate various decentralized energy sources. These systems are vital in optimizing energy production and consumption and facilitating energy savings. The rise in renewable energy adoption, driven by environmental concerns, and supportive government policies, contributes to an increased demand for such management systems. This, in turn, propels the growth of the distributed energy resource management systems market. According to the International Renewable Energy Agency, in 2022, the total capacity of global renewable energy generation reached 3372 Gigawatts (GW), marking an impressive growth of 295 GW. This represented an increase of 9.6% in the overall stock of renewable power.
Initiatives by major players drive the distributed energy resource management system market.
Distributed energy resource management system market is significantly fuelled by strategic collaborations and investments made by leading players in the sector. These companies are increasingly joining forces to combine their expertise and resources, fostering technological innovation and expanding their service offerings. therefore, driving the growth and progress of the distributed energy resource management system industry. For instance, in May 2022, at DistribuTECH, GE Digital unveiled Opus One DERMS as the inaugural outcome of its acquisition of Opus One Solutions. This cutting-edge solution serves as a comprehensive, modular distributed energy resource management system designed to support utilities in their transition towards distributed energy resources.
Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the market.
Asia-Pacific will hold a significant share of the distributed energy resource management system market due to significant governmental investments aimed at bolstering smart grid infrastructure and power distribution systems. Leading economies in the region, are actively promoting the integration of distributed energy resources to enhance energy security, improve grid reliability, and achieve sustainability goals. For instance, According to the International Energy Agency, in 2022, India initiated a scheme valued at approximately 3.03 trillion INR aimed at bolstering power distribution companies and enhancing distribution infrastructure. Also, in the period from 2021 to 2025, China strategized to upgrade and extend its power grids, earmarking an investment of 442 billion USD.
High initial costs may restrain market growth.
The widespread adoption of distributed energy resource management systems and corresponding technologies often mandates considerable preliminary capital investments. Such significant upfront costs could serve as a deterrent for several utilities and companies. For example, the initial cost of implementing a DERMS for a large-scale PV system, with a capacity of 8.9-MVA, stands at an estimated $42k. The substantial financial commitment required in these cases can create a certain level of hesitation among prospective adopters, which in turn, could restrain the expansion of the distributed energy resource management systems market
- February 2023: EnergyHub, a prominent player in distributed energy resources management, formed a strategic alliance with Siemens to collaborate on the development of next-generation DER management solutions. This partnership aims to expand its grid software business ecosystem. By combining their expertise, EnergyHub and Siemens are poised to deliver innovative and comprehensive DER management solutions that will drive the advancement of the energy industry and promote the widespread adoption of renewable energy and energy storage technologies.
- May 2022: Schneider Electric, a global pioneer in digital energy management and automation, recently unveiled 'Grid to Prosumer', a holistic solution for Distributed Energy Resources (DER) management. This innovative approach aims to optimize the integration and value derived from renewable energy sources, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles. By fostering a seamless connection between these resources and the grid, Schneider Electric is furthering its commitment to maximizing the potential of renewable energy and enabling a sustainable energy future.
- May 2022: Siemens unveiled a novel software solution aimed at enhancing the management of Distributed Energy Resources. This groundbreaking software from Siemens bolsters the capability of customers to execute grid protection simulations at a pace that is up to six times faster than the current rate. By accelerating the simulation process, the software assists utilities in more effective planning, operation, and maintenance of their power networks, hence contributing to the efficiency and reliability of power distribution.
- May 2022: Schneider Electric acquired AutoGrid, a strategic move to harness the immense potential of distributed energy resources. This acquisition positions Schneider Electric to bridge the gap between utility grids and the diverse energy sources beyond the utility meter. AutoGrid's state-of-the-art virtual power plant technology platform will serve as a key enabler in this initiative, providing the tools and systems necessary for efficient integration and management of distributed energy resources, thereby amplifying Schneider Electric's capabilities in the rapidly evolving energy landscape.
- By Resource Type
- Solar PV
- Wind Turbine
- Battery Storage
- By Distribution Type
- By Component
- By End-User
- By Geography
- North America
- South America
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.1. Energy Transition Status
1.2. Sector-wise Analysis: Examination of Key Industries and Their Implications
1.3. Socio-Economic Impact of Energy Transition
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. ENERGY AND POWER INDUSTRY OVERVIEW
4.2. Energy Industry Overview
4.2.1. Global Energy Production (in EJ)
220.127.116.11. Middle East & Africa
18.104.22.168. Asia Pacific
4.2.2. Energy Mix, By Fuel
4.3. Power Industry Overview
4.3.1. Global Power Generation (in TWh)
4.3.2. Power Mix
4.4. Russian-Ukraine War Impact
4.4.1. Supply Shocks
4.4.2. Rising Energy Prices
4.4.3. Repercussions On Economic Policy
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1. Market Drivers
5.2. Market Restraints
5.3. CO2 Emissions
5.3.3. Natural Gas
5.4. Clean Energy Investment
5.4.1. Electricity Generation
5.4.2. Energy Infrastructure
6. GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS/POLICIES
6.1. Net Zero Commitments
6.2. Remuneration Schemes
7. DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET, BY RESOURCE TYPE
7.2. Solar PV
7.3. Wind Turbine
7.4. Battery Storage
8. DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCES MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET, BY DISTRIBUTION TYPE
9. DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCES MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET, BY COMPONENT
10. DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCES MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET, BY END-USER
11. DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCES MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
11.2. North America
11.3. South America
11.5. Middle East and Africa
11.5.1. Saudi Arabia
11.6. Asia Pacific
11.6.3. South Korea
12. RECENT DEVELOPMENT AND INVESTMENTS
13. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
13.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
13.2. Market Share Analysis
13.3. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
14. COMPANY PROFILES
14.1. Open Access Technology International, Inc.
14.2. General Electric
14.3. Oracle Corporation
14.4. Hitachi Energy Ltd. (Hitachi Group)
14.5. Itron Inc.
14.6. Enel S.p.A
14.7. Open System International Inc. (Emerson Electric Co.)
14.8. Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
14.9. AutoGrid System Inc. (Schneider Electric)
14.10. ABB Ltd.
Open Access Technology International, Inc.
Hitachi Energy Ltd. (Hitachi Group)
Open System International Inc. (Emerson Electric Co.)
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
AutoGrid System Inc. (Schneider Electric)
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Energy Harvesting System Market Size & Share: Report, 2023-2028||Aug 2023|
|Energy and Power Electric Capacitor Market Size: Report, 2022-2027||Apr 2022|
|Battery Energy Storage Market Size & Share: Report, 2019 - 2024||May 2021|
|Residential Energy Storage Market Size: Report, 2023 - 2028||Sep 2023|
|Energy Storage Market Size, Share & Trends: Report, 2022-2027||Jul 2023|