Head Mounted Display Market Size, Share, Opportunities, COVID-19 Impact, And Trends By Technology (Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality), By Product (Head-Mounted, Eyewear), By Connectivity (Wired, Wireless), By Display (Slide-On HMDs, Discrete HMDs, Integrated HMDs), By Industry Vertical (Aviation And Defense, Media And Entertainment, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Education, Others), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2022 To 2027
- Published : Nov 2022
- Report Code : KSI061610023
- Pages : 152
Head Mounted Display Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 17.65%, reaching a market size of US$9,079.00 million in 2027 from US$2,909.21 million in 2020.
A head-mounted display, as the name suggests, is a display device, worn on the head that contains a small computer screen in front of the eyes to provide a cinematic experience of anything that the user is watching.
This is mostly a virtual reality device, meant specifically for entertainment or gaming purposes. Nevertheless, it is being deployed in aviation and military services for delivering information and tracking vehicles. It is also used in scientific research and training by simulating complex and risk-infused real-world scenarios. The growth of this market can be derived through technological advancements in HMDs in terms of weight, dimension, and impact on the eyes, among others. Owing to the ease of handling wireless HMDs, the demand for such a variety is expected to be significantly high. Technological advancements and the rising demand for compact and portable gadgets by consumers are driving the demand for this market.
A major reason for the growing demand for HMDs is their application across diverse sectors, namely, consumer entertainment, industry, military, defense, aviation or aerospace, education, medical, etc.
The use of HMDs is concentrated in training efforts, as unsafe real-world simulation-based tasks can be performed with the utmost safety in a controlled situation. Besides, a plethora of companies is investing in technological improvements in augmented reality and Virtual Reality to stay ahead of their competitors. But this market faces certain constraints in its growing trend, such as eye-straining effect, low battery life, high-cost factor, lack of standardized regulations, and less recognition or awareness of this product’s existence in the market.
On the flip side, companies are heavily investing in research and development to curb these challenges and outpace their competitors. An example is, in 2019, Cambridge engineers, in collaboration with Huawei European Research Center, developed an Augmented Reality-based HMD that showcases 3D experiences without causing nausea or strain in the eyes. The HMD was tested successfully on 50 participants.
Apple has a patent in its name called “Display System Having Sensors” that captures facial expressions, movements in the jaw or mouth, and environmental motions along with providing a 3D virtual view. There are investments occurring in developing glasses based-HMDs that would be revolutionary for the Head Mounted Display Market.
The market in North America is estimated to hold a substantial share in 2019.
The North American region holds a substantial share of this market and is anticipated to grow throughout the forecast period owing to the technological advancements occurring in this region. Europe, the Middle East, and Africa are also expected to witness a rise in the demand for HMDs in the coming years.
- July 2022: Leading supplier of high-resolution microdisplays Kopin Corporation reported receiving production orders worth about $3.8 million. The new Brillian Active Matrix Liquid Crystal Display, which displays real-time flight and targeting information for helicopter pilots, has received an order for its ultra-bright, full-color version. For applications demanding extremely high brightness, Kopin's proprietary Brillian displays utilize ground-breaking developments in layout and processing techniques to deliver unmatched image performance. In support of multi-year program goals, it anticipates additional follow-on orders over a number of years. The current orders have planned deliveries until the fourth quarter of 2023.
- August 2022: A global Tier-1 aerospace and defence company has placed a follow-on six-figure order for additional pre-production units of Vuzix Corporation's customized avionics waveguide-based head-mounted display (HMD) system. Vuzix Corporation is a leading provider of Smart Glasses and Augmented Reality technology and products. The customer's customized HD display engine and HMD waveguide development program are still growing and moving toward production. With this partner, Vuzix has finished several phases of product development and improvement and is close to fulfilling the customer's criteria for production roll-out.
- Sony HMS-3000MT: A personal viewing system called the Sony HMS-3000MT shows images captured by 3D surgical endoscopic or laparoscopic cameras and other 3D medical imaging systems that are compatible. The system is made up of a head-mounted display that displays stereoscopic images from the imaging system and the HMI-3000MT camera control system. For simultaneous viewing by two users, it is an option to attach a second head-mounted display to the camera control unit. In addition to allowing a "look down" view of the operating site, the display is customizable for more comfortable usage during prolonged operating sessions.
- Samsung HMD Odyssey+: With its proprietary Anti-Screen Door Effect Display technology, the upgraded Windows Mixed Reality headset is said to offer a distraction-free immersive viewing experience. With the use of Anti-SDE technology, Samsung HMD Odyssey+ lessens the impacts that might cause vertigo when tiny lines separating pixels appear in some displays. The headset's broad eye box is 146mm and it only weighs 590 grams. Notably, the controller for the Samsung HMD Odyssey+ can double as a flashlight. Dual 3.5-inch AMOLED panels with a total resolution of 1440x1600 pixels per eye are included on the Samsung HMD Odyssey+.
Head Mounted Display Market Scope:
|Market Size Value in 2020||US$2,909.21 million|
|Market Size Value in 2027||US$9,079.00 million|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 17.65% from 2020 to 2027|
|Forecast Unit (Value)||USD Million|
|Segments Covered||Technology, Product, Connectivity, Display, Industry Vertical, And Geography|
|Regions Covered||North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific|
|Companies Covered||Kopin Corporation, Vuzix, Google Inc., Sony Electronics Inc., Oculus VR (Facebook Technologies, Inc.), BAE Systems, Samsung, Microsoft, Fujitsu, LG Electronics|
|Customization Scope||Free report customization with purchase|
- By Technology
- Virtual Reality
- Augmented Reality
- By Product
- By Connectivity
- By Display
- Slide-On HMDs
- Discrete HMDs
- Integrated HMDs
- By Industry Vertical
- Aviation and Defense
- Media and Entertainment
- By Geography
- North America
- South America
- The Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. COVID-19 Scenario
1.3. Market Definition
1.4. Market Segmentation
2. Research Methodology
2.1. Research Data
3. Executive Summary
3.1. Research Highlights
4. Market Dynamics
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. Head-Mounted Display Market Analysis, by Technology
5.2. Virtual Reality
5.3. Augmented Reality
6. Head-Mounted Display Market Analysis, by Product
7. Head-Mounted Display Market Analysis, by Connectivity
8. Head-Mounted Display Market Analysis, by Display
8.2. Slide-On HMDs
8.3. Discrete HMDs
8.4. Integrated HMDs
9. Head-Mounted Display Market Analysis, by Industry Vertical
9.2. Aviation and Defense
9.3. Media and Entertainment
10. Head Mounted Display Market Analysis, by Geography
10.2. North America
10.2.1. United States
10.3. South America
10.5. The Middle East and Africa
10.5.1. Saudi Arabia
10.5.2. United Arab Emirates
10.6. Asia Pacific
10.6.4. South Korea
11. Competitive Environment and Analysis
11.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
11.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
11.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
11.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
12. Company Profiles
12.1. Kopin Corporation
12.3. Google Inc.
12.4. Sony Electronics Inc.
12.5. Oculus VR (Facebook Technologies, Inc.)
12.6. BAE Systems
12.10. Hitachi-LG Data Strage
Sony Electronics Inc.
Oculus VR (Facebook Technologies, Inc.)
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Volumetric Display Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2021-2026||Jun 2021|
|Multi Touch Technology Market Size & Share: Report, 2023 - 2028||Sep 2021|
|Wearable Display Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2021 - 2026||Jul 2021|
|Augmented Reality (AR) In Healthcare Market Size & Share: 2021–2026||Jul 2021|
|Global Eyewear Market Trends, Industry Size & Report, 2021 – 2026||May 2021|