Metagenomics Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Product (Kits & Reagents, Sequencing & Data Analytics Services, Software), By Technology (Shotgun Sequencing, 16S Sequencing, Whole Genome Sequencing, Others), By Application (Environmental, Clinical Diagnostics, Drug Discovery, Biotechnology, Food & Nutrition, Others), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Jul 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615818
- Pages : 146
The metagenomics market is predicted to show steady growth during the forecast period. Metagenomics refers to the scientific investigation of genetic material obtained directly from environmental or clinical samples via sequencing. Metagenomics finds diverse applications across various fields, including environmental research, clinical diagnostics, drug discovery, biotechnology, food and nutrition studies, and other specialized areas. Metagenomics industry growth is primarily driven by improved drug discovery and clinical diagnostics, alongside continuous technological advancements in the field.
Booming drug discovery bolsters the metagenomics market growth.
Metagenomics is used in drug discovery due to its ability to identify novel microbial genes and natural products that can serve as potential drug candidates. By analyzing diverse microbial communities in various environments, metagenomics enables the discovery of bioactive compounds with therapeutic properties. Favorable government initiative and investments to encourage the exploration of untapped microbial biodiversity has fuelled the interest in drug discovery through metagenomics. For instance, in March 2023, to bolster drug research, commercialization, and manufacturing in the Alberta province, the Canadian government allocated 80.5 million Canadian dollars ($59 million) to the Canadian Critical Drug Initiative.
Technological advancements drive the metagenomics market expansion.
The metagenomics industry has experienced significant growth owing to continuous advancements in sequencing technologies, and bioinformatics tools which have enhanced the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of metagenomics studies. Researchers and industries can now harness these cutting-edge tools to delve deeper into complex microbial communities. For instance, in February 2023, Tecan Group and Oxford Nanopore Technologies formed a collaborative partnership to enhance nanopore library preparation by streamlining the process for high-throughput and automated workflows. The LSK114 represents a significant advancement over conventional sequencing platforms as it enables the sequencing of native, long fragments of DNA.
Improved clinical diagnostics drive metagenomics growth.
Metagenomics plays a crucial role in clinical diagnostics due to its ability to provide comprehensive insights into the microbial communities present in the human body. Metagenomics aids in understanding the interplay between these microorganisms and the host's health, leading to improved disease identification, treatment strategies, and personalized medicine. The field of clinical diagnostics is experiencing rapid growth, driven by increased investments from pharmaceutical companies, and the government which is accelerating metagenomics demand. For instance, in November 2021, an investment of $650 million in rapid diagnostic testing was announced by the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to expand access to Covid-19 tests.
Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the metagenomics market.
The Asia Pacific will account for a significant share of the market due to the region's significant focus on drug discovery and the accompanying investments. For instance, in June 2023, MedChem Australia, a new national medicinal chemistry initiative, received $9.75 million from the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF), which aims to foster advancements in drug discovery and strengthen the country's capabilities in the field of medicinal chemistry. Also, in May 2022, the Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare announced an investment of 877.8 billion won ($693 million) in the pharmaceutical industry, aimed at bolstering research and development efforts for new drugs and strengthening the workforce in the sector.
High initial costs restrain the metagenomics market growth.
Metagenomic research demands the utilization of cutting-edge laboratory equipment, highly advanced sequencing technologies, and intricate data analysis methodologies, which inevitably results in significant financial outlays. For smaller research institutions and companies, these substantial expenses can pose a major obstacle to embracing metagenomics as a research approach. As an illustration, the cost of whole genome sequencing alone can range from approximately 25,000 Rs (USD 338) to 50,000 Rs (USD 676), further contributing to the challenge of broader adoption in the scientific community.
- April 2023: PacBio, a renowned provider of precise and reliable sequencing solutions, unveiled its latest offering, the high-throughput (HT) Nanobind DNA Extraction kits. These advanced kits have been specifically developed to empower researchers with the ability to efficiently extract high-quality DNA from a diverse array of samples within a high-throughput environment. The kits boast a user-friendly and swift protocol, ensuring seamless compatibility with automation platforms offered by leading providers, further enhancing the efficiency and convenience of the DNA extraction process for researchers.
- March 2023: Illumina Inc., a prominent player in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, introduced its latest Illumina Complete Long Read technology-based assay. This high-performance, long-read, human whole-genome sequencing (WGS) assay marks a significant advancement as it grants users the unique capability of accessing both long- and short-read data using a single Illumina instrument. The new technology streamlines the workflow with significantly reduced DNA input requirements, setting it apart from other long-read offerings and making it an innovative and accessible solution for researchers.
- February 2022: Yorkshire Water, in collaboration with Aqua Enviro, the wastewater technical consultancy owned by SUEZ, introduced an innovative metagenomics project aimed at monitoring and optimizing performance in wastewater treatment works. Through genetic sequencing technology, the project will provide Yorkshire Water with valuable insights into the various bacterial populations at their sites and the factors influencing their efficiency during the EBPR upgrades. This cutting-edge approach promises to enhance their understanding of microbial dynamics, enabling more effective control and management of wastewater treatment processes
- CFX Real-Time PCR Detection Systems: Bio-Rad Laboratories offers the CFX Real-Time PCR Detection Systems, which are highly robust and adaptable instruments. These systems incorporate 2–5 color multiplexing, advanced optical technology, and precise temperature control with thermal gradients. With their capabilities, the qPCR systems enable sensitive and dependable detection of both singleplex and multiplex real-time PCR reactions, making them a valuable tool for researchers in various fields seeking accurate and efficient analysis of genetic material.
- QIAGEN CLC Genomics Workbench Premium: The QIAGEN CLC Genomics Workbench Premium provides comprehensive metagenomics and microbiome analysis tools, catering to diverse bioinformatics requirements. This advanced software facilitates in-depth exploration of microbiomes, characterizes isolates, supports functional metagenomics studies, and aids in resistance identification. With its wide array of functionalities, the CLC Genomics Workbench Premium proves to be an indispensable solution for researchers seeking robust and versatile tools to unravel the complexities of microbial communities and their functions.
- By Product
- Kits & Reagents
- Sequencing & Data Analytics Services
- By Technology
- Shotgun Sequencing
- 16S Sequencing
- Whole Genome Sequencing
- By Application
- Clinical Diagnostics
- Drug Discovery
- Food & Nutrition
- By Geography
- North America
- United States
- South America
- United Kingdom
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Scope of the Study
1.4. Market Segmentation
1.7. Base, and Forecast Years Timeline
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. METAGENOMICS MARKET, BY PRODUCT
5.2. Kits & Reagents
5.3. Sequencing & Data Analytics Services
6. METAGENOMICS MARKET, BY TECHNOLOGY
6.2. Shotgun Sequencing
6.3. 16S Sequencing
6.4. Whole Genome Sequencing
7. METAGENOMICS MARKET, BY APPLICATION
7.3. Clinical Diagnostics
7.4. Drug Discovery
7.6. Food & Nutrition
8. METAGENOMICS MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
8.2. North America
8.2.1. United States
8.3. South America
8.4.1. United Kingdom
8.5. The Middle East and Africa
8.5.1. Saudi Arabia
8.6. Asia Pacific
8.6.4. South Korea
9. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
9.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
9.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
9.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
9.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
10. COMPANY PROFILES
10.1. Bio-Rad Laboratories
10.2. Illumina, Inc.
10.3. PerkinElmer, Inc.
10.4. Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
10.5. Novogene Co., Ltd.
10.6. Promega Corporation
10.8. Takara Bio, Inc.
10.9. Oxford Nanopore Technologies
10.10. F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
Novogene Co., Ltd.
Takara Bio, Inc.
Oxford Nanopore Technologies
F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|