Active Packaging Market Size, Share, Opportunities, COVID-19 Impact, And Trends By Packaging Technology (Oxygen Scavengers, Moisture Controllers, Antimicrobial Agents, UV Blocking, Others), By Application (Food, Beverages, Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare, Electronics Applications, Consumer Care, Others), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2022 To 2027
- Published : May 2022
- Report Code : KSI061610042
- Pages : 132
The active packaging market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 6.48% to reach a market size of US$33.632 billion in 2027 from US$21.675 billion in 2020. Active packaging is aimed at improving the performance of the package by infusing subsidiary constituents into the package (material or space). This emerging packaging system ensures that the food remains fresh and free from contamination and extends the shelf-life of the packaged food product.
Impact of COVID-19 on the active packaging market
The active packaging market was severely affected by the pandemic. The lockdown conditions in various parts of the world affected global trade. The companies had to shut down their manufacturing units thereby disrupting the demand and supply chain. However, pharmaceutical packaging witnessed growth due to the spread of COVID-19. The growing demand for medicines to support the treatment of COVID-19 propelled the demand for pharmaceutical packaging. It is estimated that post COVID when the economic conditions are back to normal the growing demand from end-user industries will boost growth in the active packaging market.
- The growing geriatric population, increasing number of chronic diseases, and rising demand for OTC drugs are augmenting the growth of the Healthcare segment. Owing to strict regulations in the packaging of pharmaceutical products, investments in active packaging solutions are rising. With the rising complexity of the products to be stored or transported to distant places while maintaining their integrity, the market for active packages is estimated to elevate throughout the forecast period.
- The growing demand for packaged or ready-to-eat food is also growing the demand for active packaging in the market. The beverage industry incorporating bottled water, and pouches for drinks, among others is also expected to positively impact this market. The rising disposable income is driving the growth of packaged goods.
- In February 2020, Aptar a leader in consumer dispensing, active packaging, and drug delivery solutions announced that it had acquired FusionPKG. FusionPKG is a leader in providing high-quality, prestige airless, and color cosmetics packaging. This acquisition will enable Aptar to grow Aptar’s Beauty + Home segment margins.
- In the year 2019, Aptar acquired a 49% equity interest in three related BTY companies, a leading Chinese color cosmetics packaging manufacturer. This strategic investment will enable Aptar with complementary and distinctive capabilities.
- BASF recently in the year 2020 completed the acquisition of Solvay’s polyamide business. This deal was made for €1.3 billion. This acquisition will enable BASF to improve its supply reliability. It will be able to provide its customers with even better engineering plastics solutions.
- In 2019 Amcor completed the acquisition of Bemis Company Inc., this acquisition will enable the company to increase its footprint and expand its capabilities to strengthen its presence in the industry.
- Sealed Air Corporation announced in 2019 that it had joined the Alliance to End Plastic Waste. It is an organization that comprises nearly 80 companies to date and they make a five-year commitment to invest $1.5 billion in solutions to eliminate plastic waste in the environment.
- The AIPIA China Summit, held in July 2019, identified the benefits for several Chinese manufacturing industries of active and intelligent packaging technologies. The program was designed to illustrate China's smart packaging requirements and how the various innovations can be applied to provide real value for the packaging industry. In India, about 40% of food is lost before it is sold in the market; all the packaging is done in the stage of processing. Most of it traps moisture, which quickly deteriorates the food, thereby requiring active usage and intelligent packaging.
- The project SafetySenseO2 was initiated by AIMPLAS in January 2020 to create a printed sensor capable of recognizing the presence of oxygen in the packaging. The organization hopes it will be practical, to detect in-line defects in modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) in an economical and non-destructive way, as well as during storage and transportation. Also, the oxygen sensor can provide consumers with information about the safety and quality of food to reduce the risk of food poisoning.
The food industry is one of the largest end-user industries in the active packaging market. The advanced versions of active packaging materials release controlled quantities of ethanol into meat and bakery products that would help curb microbial growth in those food items. The choice of material used for active packaging depends on the type of food that is being preserved. For instance, in the case of cured meat, nuts and powdered milk reducing oxygen is beneficial. However, in the case of cheese, baked goods, and fresh and processed meat, carbon dioxide has a positive impact. It helps impart an antimicrobial effect to certain food items.
The Asia Pacific will witness significant market growth
The Asia Pacific region will witness lucrative growth in the forecast period. The growing demand for active packaging from the end-user industries will boost the demand in the region. Advancements in technology in the field of active packaging will make materials more affordable. China, Japan, and India are estimated to be some of the leading countries driving growth in the Asia Pacific region.
The North American region is a major shareholder in the active packaging market. Intensive research and development in the North American region have amplified growth in the active packaging market.
The major market players in the active packaging market are BASF SE, DuPont, Amcor Ltd., MicrobeGuard Corporation, Sealed Air Corporation, Dessicare Inc., Active Packaging, and Accutech Packaging. These companies are highly competitive and compete with each other on grounds of new product launches, agreeing to a partnership, or acquisition.
Active Packaging Market Scope:
|Market Size Value in 2020||US$21.675 billion|
|Market Size Value in 2027||US$33.632 billion|
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 6.48% from 2020 to 2027|
|Forecast Unit (Value)||USD Billion|
|Segments Covered||Packaging Technology, Application, And Geography|
|Regions Covered||North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific|
|Companies Covered||BASF SE, DuPont, Amcor Ltd., MicrobeGuard Corporation, Sealed Air Corporation, Dessicare Inc., Active Packaging, Accutech Packaging|
|Customization Scope||Free report customization with purchase|
By Packaging Technology
Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare
Middle East and Africa
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.1. Market Definition
1.2. Market Segmentation
2. Research Methodology
2.1. Research Data
3. Executive Summary
3.1. Research Highlights
4. Market Dynamics
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Packaging Technology
5.2. Oxygen Scavengers
5.3. Moisture Controllers
5.4. Antimicrobial Agents
5.5. UV Blocking
6. Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Application
6.4. Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare
6.5. Electronics Applications
6.6. Consumer Care
7. Active Packaging Market Analysis, by Geography
7.2. North America
7.2.1. North America Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Packaging Technology
7.2.2. North America Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Application
7.2.3. By Country
220.127.116.11. United States
7.3. South America
7.3.1. South America Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Packaging Technology
7.3.2. South America Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Application
7.3.3. By Country
7.4.1. Europe Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Packaging Technology
7.4.2. Europe Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Application
7.4.3. By Country
7.5. Middle East and Africa
7.5.1. Middle East and Africa Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Packaging Technology
7.5.2. Middle East and Africa Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Application
7.5.3. By Country
18.104.22.168. South Africa
22.214.171.124. Saudi Arabia
7.6. Asia Pacific
7.6.1. Asia Pacific Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Packaging Technology
7.6.2. Asia Pacific Active Packaging Market Analysis, By Application
7.6.3. By Country
126.96.36.199. South Korea
8. Competitive Environment and Analysis
8.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
8.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
8.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
8.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
9. Company Profiles
9.1. BASF SE
9.3. Amcor Ltd.
9.4. MicrobeGuard Corporation
9.5. Sealed Air Corporation
9.6. Dessicare Inc.
9.7. Active Packaging
9.8. Accutech Packaging
Sealed Air Corporation
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Asia Pacific Active Packaging Market Size, Trends & Share: 2022-2027||Mar 2020|
|Europe Active Packaging Market Size: Industry Report, 2022 - 2027||Mar 2020|
|North America Active Packaging Market Size & Share: 2022 - 2027||Mar 2020|
|Middle East and Africa Active Packaging Market Size: 2022 - 2027||Mar 2020|
|South America Active Packaging Market Size & Share: 2022 - 2027||Mar 2020|