Containerboard Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Material (Virgin Fibers, Recycled Fibers, Virgin+ Recycled Fibers), By Type (Kraftliners, Testliners, Flutings, Others), By End-User (Food And Beverages, Consumer Goods, Industrial), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Jul 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615822
- Pages : 140
The containerboard market is projected to grow at a significant level in the forecast period. Containerboard refers to a type of paperboard used in the production of corrugated cardboard boxes and packaging materials. It is made from a combination of recycled fibers and virgin wood pulp. Containerboard comes in two main grades: linerboard, which forms the outer layers of corrugated board, providing strength and smoothness, and corrugating medium, which comprises the fluted inner layer that provides rigidity and cushioning. Containerboard's versatility, cost-effectiveness, and recyclability make it a preferred material for packaging and transporting various goods across industries.
This market encompasses both linerboard, used for the outer layers of corrugated board, and corrugating medium, used for the fluted inner layer. The containerboard market serves various industries, including e-commerce, retail, food and beverage, electronics, consumer goods, and pharmaceuticals. It provides packaging and shipping solutions, ensuring safe transportation and preservation of products across different sectors. Containerboard is a versatile, cost-effective, and eco-friendly packaging material widely used for corrugated boxes and packaging materials. The containerboard market is driven by the demand for cost-effective, versatile, and eco-friendly packaging solutions across various sectors, including e-commerce, retail, food and beverages, and electronics, as well as the need for sustainable and recyclable packaging materials.
- E-commerce Growth: The exponential growth of the e-commerce industry is a major driver for the containerboard market. As more consumers opt for online shopping, the demand for corrugated boxes and shipping materials increases to safely deliver products to customers' doorsteps.
- Retail and Consumer Goods Demand: The retail sector's expansion, coupled with increased consumer goods consumption, fuels the need for containerboard packaging. Corrugated boxes are widely used to package a diverse range of products, including electronics, household items, and personal care products.
- Sustainable Packaging Initiatives: The rising focus on sustainability and eco-friendly packaging solutions drives the demand for containerboard. As a renewable and recyclable material, it aligns with businesses' and consumers' growing preference for environmentally responsible packaging.
- Food and Beverage Industry Needs: The food and beverage industry heavily relies on containerboard for packaging perishable and non-perishable items. Corrugated boxes offer a protective and hygienic solution, ensuring food safety during transportation and storage.
- Customization and Branding Opportunities: Containerboard provides versatile customization options, allowing businesses to showcase their logos, product information, and marketing messages on packaging. This capability enhances brand visibility and creates opportunities for consumer engagement.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Containerboard is a cost-effective packaging material compared to alternatives like plastics and metals. Its lightweight nature reduces shipping costs, making it an attractive choice for businesses looking to optimize their packaging expenses.
- Growth in E-commerce Returns: As the e-commerce industry expands, product returns also increase. Containerboard packaging facilitates efficient handling of returns, reducing reverse logistics costs and ensuring sustainability in product handling.
- Lightweight Nature: The lightweight properties of containerboard offer logistical advantages, as it minimizes fuel consumption during transportation, leading to lower carbon emissions and environmental impact.
- Regulatory Compliance: Containerboard complies with various packaging safety and environmental standards, making it a preferred choice for businesses aiming to meet industry regulations and reduce legal compliance risks.
- Infrastructure and Construction Development: The construction industry relies on containerboard for protective packaging during transportation of construction materials. Additionally, it finds use in temporary protection on construction sites, driven by infrastructure development and renovation projects.
Products offered by key companies:
- International Paper launched a new line of containerboards made with 100% recycled paper. The boards are also designed to be recyclable, which helps to reduce waste.
- DS Smith launched a new line of containerboards that are made with a water-based ink. The ink is made with a water-based solvent, which is less harmful to the environment than traditional solvent-based inks.
- WestRock launched a new line of containerboards that are made with a lower carbon footprint. The boards are made with a combination of recycled paper and virgin paper, and they are also designed to be recyclable.
Positive growth in the e-commerce packaging segment:
The e-commerce packaging segment of the containerboard market is experiencing significant growth. This growth can be attributed to the surging popularity of online shopping, which has led to an increased demand for corrugated boxes and shipping materials to safely transport products to consumers' homes. As e-commerce continues to expand, businesses are investing in efficient and sustainable packaging solutions, driving the demand for containerboard in this particular segment. Additionally, the lightweight and eco-friendly properties of containerboard align well with the growing emphasis on cost-effectiveness and environmentally responsible packaging practices in the e-commerce industry.
The North American region is expected to hold a significant share:
North America is expected to dominate the containerboard market share. This dominance can be attributed to several factors, including a well-established packaging industry, a large consumer base, significant e-commerce growth, and the presence of major players in the containerboard market. Additionally, stringent environmental regulations and increasing demand for sustainable packaging solutions in North America have contributed to the region's prominence in the containerboard market.
- In May 2023, Valmet will supply DS Smith Paper Italia S.r.l. with a new containerboard machine, automation, and services for their Porcari site in Italy, aiming to meet the demand for sustainable packaging. The machine is set to start operations in mid-2025. The order was part of Valmet's Q4 2022 orders, with its value undisclosed.
- In Feb 2022, WestRock Company plans to build a new corrugated box plant in Longview, Washington, to meet growing demand from regional customers in the Pacific Northwest. The state-of-the-art facility will replace the existing operations, co-located with the Longview paper mill to enhance containerboard integration.
- By Material
- Virgin Fibers
- Recycled Fibers
- Virgin+ Recycled Fibers
- By Type
- By End-User
- Food and Beverages
- Consumer Goods
- By Geography
- North America
- United States
- South America
- United Kingdom
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Scope of the Study
1.4. Market Segmentation
1.7. Base, and Forecast Years Timeline
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Design
2.2. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Key Findings
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. CONTAINERBOARD MARKET, BY MATERIAL
5.2. Virgin Fibers
5.3. Recycled Fibers
5.4. Virgin+ Recycled Fibers
6. CONTAINERBOARD MARKET, BY TYPE
7. CONTAINERBOARD MARKET, BY END-USER
7.2. Food and Beverages
7.3. Consumer Goods
8. CONTAINERBOARD MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
8.2. North America
8.2.1. United States
8.3. South America
8.4.1. United Kingdom
8.5. Middle East and Africa
8.5.1. Saudi Arabia
8.6. Asia Pacific
8.6.4. South Korea
9. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
9.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
9.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
9.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
9.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
10. COMPANY PROFILES
10.1. International Paper
10.2. Oji Fibre Solutions (NZ) Ltd
10.3. Nine Dragons Paper (Holdings) Limited
10.4. Smurfit Kappa Group
10.5. Mondi Limited
10.6. Sappi Ltd
10.7. WestRock Company
10.8. Cascades Inc.
10.9. Stora Enso Oyj
10.10. SvenskaCellulosaAktiebolaget SCA
Oji Fibre Solutions (NZ) Ltd
Nine Dragons Paper (Holdings) Limited
Smurfit Kappa Group
Stora Enso Oyj
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|