Milk Packaging Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Packaging Type (Cans, Bottles/ Containers, Cartons, Pouches/Bags, Others), By Material (Plastic, Paperboard, Glass, Others), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Oct 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615786
- Pages : 144
The milk packaging market was valued at US$25.243 billion in 2021 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 1.45% over the forecast period to reach US$28.123 billion by 2028.
Milk packaging refers to the process of safely and efficiently enclosing milk in containers for distribution and sale. It involves various techniques and materials to ensure the preservation of milk's freshness, nutritional value, and protection against external factors such as light, air, and bacteria. Common milk packaging options include cartons, bottles, and pouches, each offering different advantages in terms of convenience, shelf life, and environmental impact. Additionally, modern packaging technologies often incorporate features like tamper-evident seals, easy-open mechanisms, and resealable closures to enhance consumer convenience and product integrity.
The milk packaging market is a dynamic industry that encompasses the production, distribution, and sale of various types of packaging solutions specifically designed for milk products. It involves a wide range of stakeholders, including packaging manufacturers, dairy producers, retailers, and consumers. The market is driven by factors such as the increasing demand for convenient and sustainable packaging options, the need for extended shelf life and product protection, and evolving consumer preferences.
Key trends in the milk packaging market include the adoption of eco-friendly materials, innovative packaging designs, and the incorporation of advanced technologies for improved product safety and convenience. The market is highly competitive, with companies constantly striving to develop cost-effective, visually appealing, and environmentally friendly packaging solutions to meet the evolving needs of the milk industry and gain a competitive edge in the marketplace.
- Increasing global milk consumption: The rising global demand for milk and dairy products is a key driver for the milk packaging market. As milk consumption continues to grow, the need for efficient and effective packaging solutions to store, transport, and sell milk becomes essential.
- Growing population and urbanization: The increasing global population, particularly in urban areas, leads to higher demand for packaged milk due to factors like convenience, longer shelf life, and ease of storage.
- Health and wellness trends: The growing awareness of the health benefits associated with milk consumption drives market demand. Consumers seek packaging solutions that preserve milk's nutritional value, protect against contamination, and offer convenient portion sizes.
- Shift towards extended shelf life: Manufacturers and consumers alike are seeking milk packaging solutions that extend the shelf life of milk, ensuring product freshness and reducing waste. This is especially important in regions with limited access to refrigeration facilities.
- Technological advancements in packaging materials: Innovations in packaging materials, such as lightweight and eco-friendly options, provide improved product protection, reduce environmental impact, and enhance convenience for consumers.
- Regulatory requirements and safety standards: Strict regulations and safety standards related to food packaging and hygiene drive the adoption of packaging solutions that ensure product safety, prevent tampering, and comply with legal requirements.
- Convenience and portability: Busy lifestyles and on-the-go consumption habits lead to a demand for milk packaging options that offer convenience, ease of use, and portability, such as single-serve containers or resealable pouches.
- Branding and marketing strategies: Packaging plays a crucial role in product differentiation and product promotion. Eye-catching designs, sustainable packaging choices, and value-added features can attract consumers and enhance product image.
- Environmental sustainability: The growing emphasis on sustainability prompts the milk packaging market to develop eco-friendly solutions, such as recyclable materials, biodegradable packaging, or reduced packaging waste, in response to consumer preferences and environmental concerns.
- E-commerce and online grocery delivery: The rapid growth of e-commerce and online grocery platforms creates a need for milk packaging solutions that can withstand transportation, ensure product safety, and provide convenient packaging sizes suitable for home delivery.
Products offered by key companies:
- Arla Foods has launched a new line of organic milk in cartons made from 100% recycled paperboard. The cartons are also certified compostable, meaning they can be broken down into natural materials by microorganisms in a composting facility.
- Akshayakalpa Organic has launched a new line of milk in paperboard cartons that are 92% biodegradable and 100% recyclable. The company has also launched a recycling initiative that allows consumers to return their milk cartons to the company for recycling.
- Danone has launched a new line of milk in cartons made from plant-based materials. The cartons are made from sugarcane bagasse, a byproduct of the sugar industry.
Positive growth in the plant-based milk packaging segment:
The segment of the milk packaging market that is experiencing rapid positive growth is the plant-based milk packaging segment. With the increasing popularity of plant-based milk alternatives, such as almond milk, soy milk, and oat milk, the demand for packaging solutions specifically tailored to these products is on the rise. Plant-based milk packaging offers features like long shelf life, convenience, and product integrity preservation. As more consumers adopt plant-based diets and seek dairy alternatives, the plant-based milk packaging segment is witnessing significant growth due to the expanding market for these products.
The North American region is expected to hold a significant share:
North America is expected to dominate the milk packaging market share. This can be attributed to several factors including a high consumption rate of milk and dairy products, a well-established dairy industry, and the presence of major packaging manufacturers and suppliers. The region's strong retail infrastructure, strict regulations for food safety and quality, and consumer demand for convenient and sustainable packaging solutions contribute to the dominance of North America in the milk packaging market. Additionally, the focus on innovative packaging designs and the growing preference for eco-friendly materials further strengthen the region's market position.
- In July 2023, dairy company Arla Foods partnered with sustainable startup Blue Ocean Closures to develop fibre-based caps for its milk cartons. This collaboration aims to reduce plastic usage by over 500 tonnes per year and aligns with Arla's goal to eliminate fossil-based plastics by 2030. The fibre-based caps will be made from sustainably sourced materials, featuring a thin barrier coating and advanced vacuum press forming technology.
- In March 2023, Organic Valley launched new product packaging with a bright and modern design, emphasizing its ethically sourced products from small family farms. The "Nowstalgia" concept combines an idealized past with a contemporary look. The packaging highlights core values like pasture-raised dairy and the absence of antibiotics and GMOs.
- By Packaging Type
- Bottles/ Containers
- By Material
- By Geography
- North America
- United States
- South America
- United Kingdom
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Scope of the Study
1.4. Market Segmentation
1.7. Base, and Forecast Years Timeline
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Design
2.2. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Key Findings
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. MILK PACKAGING MARKET, BY Packaging Type
5.3. Bottles/ Containers
6. MILK PACKAGING MARKET, BY MATERIAL
7. MILK PACKAGING MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
7.2. North America
7.2.1. United States
7.3. South America
7.4.1. United Kingdom
7.5. Middle East and Africa
7.5.1. Saudi Arabia
7.6. Asia Pacific
7.6.4. South Korea
8. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
8.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
8.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
8.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
8.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
9. COMPANY PROFILES
9.1. Stanpac Inc.
9.2. Evergreen Packaging LLC
9.3. Elopak AS
9.4. Tetra Pak International SA
9.5. Ball Corporation
9.6. Indevco Group
9.7. CKS Packaging Inc.
9.8. Mondi PLC
9.9. Loews Corporation
9.10. SIG Combibloc Group Ltd
Evergreen Packaging LLC
Tetra Pak International SA
CKS Packaging Inc.
SIG Combibloc Group Ltd
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|FMCG Packaging Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023 - 2028||Nov 2023|
|Confectionery Packaging Market Size & Share: Report, 2023-2028||Oct 2023|
|Dairy Packaging Market Size, Share & Trends: Report, 2023-2028||Oct 2023|
|Soft Drinks Packaging Market Size: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Oct 2023|
|Chocolate Wrapping Film Market Size & Share: Report, 2023 - 2028||Oct 2023|