5G Transport Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Type (Fronthaul, Midhaul, Backhaul), By End-user (Telecom Operators, Enterprises), By Service (Consulting/Integration, Support & Maintenance), By Architecture (D-RAN, O-RAN, C-RAN), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Aug 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615997
- Pages : 146
The global 5G transport market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 17.56% during the forecast period.
Evolution in Mobile Network Architecture
The introduction of 5G has expanded its capabilities to provide an extensive array of wireless services to users across various access platforms and multi-layer networks. The foundation of the 5G mobile network lies in its transport system, which connects all RAN nodes with the Core through either fiber or microwave connections. This transport infrastructure is typically divided into front-haul and backhaul segments, with the former connecting radio units to basebands, and the latter linking basebands to the core. These transport networks need to ensure efficient operations.
- In February 2023, Cisco and NEC broadened their collaborative efforts within the Global Systems Integrator Agreement (GSIA). They have introduced enhanced solutions for scalable 5G xHaul transport networks, which encompass advanced features like comprehensive automation and routed optical networking. These improvements are aimed at assisting operators in effectively monetizing their 5G services.
- In May 2022, Wipro Limited and HFCL Limited unveiled their collaboration to design a range of 5G transport products, encompassing Cell Site Router, DU (Distributed Unit) Aggregation Routers, and CU (Centralized Unit) Aggregation Router. HFCL is actively investing in a lineup of 5G products dedicated to Radio Access Network (RAN) and Transport. Modernizing the transport network of Communication Service Providers (CSPs) is imperative due to the significantly increased bandwidth demands.
Transport Network Priorities in 5G Phase
The transition to advanced 5G services from higher data rates will greatly impact the transport networks that support them. Currently, 5G commercialization is underway. As the transport network adapts to support 5G-Advanced, its capacity will continue to be the focus Based on a survey conducted by Heavy Reading, implementing Cloud RAN (also known as virtualized RAN or vRAN is the primary initiative that network operators aim to implement in the next three years. Out of the operators surveyed, 59% anticipate implementing RAN virtualization by 2025. In February 2023, Heavy Reading conducted its fourth annual 5G Transport Market Leadership Survey in collaboration with project partners Ericsson, Fujitsu, and Nokia. The 2023 survey garnered 87 responses from qualified network operators worldwide. These respondents offered insights on topics like transport deployment challenges, fronthaul networks, RAN centralization, routing, and synchronization, as well as 5G edge connectivity and its projected timelines.
Fusion Network Infrastructure
The implementation of segment routing in a converged multi-domain, multi-layer network will enhance network scalability and flexibility in preparation for the 5G launch. The Fusion Network Architecture is designed to offer the necessary scalability and flexibility for creating and providing new services, ultimately enhancing business agility by streamlining network architecture and operations. This involves the convergence of mobile and fixed networks, as well as the automation of multi-layer networks across packet, optical, and microwave domains.
- In March 2020, Cisco and Telstra achieved a ground-breaking milestone by successfully conducting a 5G Sub 6 GHz radio call across a packetized fronthaul network (X-HAUL). This achievement utilized Cisco segment routing technology to enhance network resiliency, ultimately benefiting Telstra's customers.
Mobile transport is a key ingredient for the success of FWA IN Global 5G transport market
The Ericsson Mobility Report as of June 2023, projects a significant surge in global mobile data usage from 19.307 FWA connections in 2022 to 236.222 in 2028, showcasing an unprecedented growth trend over the span of six years. This exponential increase underscores the escalating reliance on mobile devices and the internet, emphasizing the need for resilient network infrastructure to accommodate this escalating demand.
EMERGING OPPORTUNITIES IN THE GLOBAL 5G DEVICES MARKET
End-to-end mobile architecture
When deploying a new mobile network, even if it utilizes LTE access, it's essential to incorporate fundamental principles of the 5G system architecture. Operators should readily adopt these foundational concepts. The novel cloud RAN architecture tackles various challenges associated with constructing multi-vendor networks. Implementing the architecture division outlined earlier introduces two distinct transport areas known as fronthaul and midhaul.
- In February 2023, NEC Corporation and ADVA are collaborating to implement time synchronization solutions for Telkom Indonesia, the leading fixed network operator in Indonesia. This partnership aims to assist Telkom Indonesia in optimizing its transport network for the seamless provision of time-sensitive 5G services nationwide.
- In October 2021, NEC Corporation and Cisco were chosen by Telenor to implement 5G xHaul transport networks in Norway and Denmark. This collaboration builds upon their Global System Integrator Agreement (GSIA) established in April 2021, aimed at accelerating the global deployment of advanced 5G IP transport network solutions.
- In 2020, PLDT and Cisco collaborated to create an adaptable network framework in the Philippines, poised to unlock the full capabilities of 5G. PLDT envisions expansive possibilities for 5G, aiming to empower Smart Communications, its cellular division, to develop inventive services and bolster revenue growth.
MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE MARKET
Some of the leading players in the market include Apple Inc., MediaTek, and Norsat International Inc. among others. The major corporations provide a range of products that include the following:
Nokia 1830 Time-sensitive Packet Switch (TPS)
The Nokia 1830 Time-sensitive Packet Switch (TPS) portfolio enables efficient scaling of optical networking capacity for enhanced connectivity and diverse applications, including real-time services like mobile fronthaul, carrier Ethernet, industrial IoT, and residential broadband.
NEC's xHaul Transformation Services encompass all the essential elements required to guarantee optimal 5G performance and dependability within a diverse, multi-vendor environment. This comprehensive offering spans planning, design, operation, and optimization, infused with specialized tailoring and seamless integration throughout each stage.
5G Transport Market Scope:
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 17.56% from 2022 to 2028|
|Forecast Period||2023 – 2028|
|Forecast Unit (Value)||USD Billion|
|Segments Covered||Type, End-User, Service, Architecture, and Geography|
|Regions Covered||North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific|
|Companies Covered||Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd, Cisco Systems, Inc., NEC Corporation, ZTE Corporation, FUJITSU, Qualcomm Technologies Inc, Tejas Networks Ltd.|
|Customization Scope||Free report customization with purchase|
The Global 5G transport market has been analyzed through the following segments:
- By Type
- By End-user
- Telecom Operators
- By Service
- Support & Maintenance
- By Architecture
- By Geography
- United States
- Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Market Segmentation
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. 5G TRANSPORT MARKET, BY TYPE
5.2. Front Haul
5.3. Mid Haul
5.4. Back Haul
6. 5G TRANSPORT MARKET, BY END USERS
6.2. Telecom Operators
7. 5G TRANSPORT MARKET, BY SERVICE
7.3. Support & Maintenance
8. 5G TRANSPORT MARKET, BY ARCHITECTURE
9. 5G TRANSPORT MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
9.2.1. United States
9.3. Europe, Middle East and Africa
9.4. Asia Pacific
9.4.3. South Korea
10. RECENT DEVELOPMENT AND INVESTMENTS
11. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
11.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
11.2. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
12. COMPANY PROFILES
12.1. Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
12.2. Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
12.3. Cisco Systems, Inc.
12.4. NEC Corporation
12.5. ZTE Corporation
12.7. Qualcomm Technologies Inc
12.8. Tejas Networks Ltd.
Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Qualcomm Technologies Inc
Tejas Networks Ltd.
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Global 5G Services Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Aug 2023|
|Japan 5G Small Cell Market Size: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Feb 2023|
|5G Active Antenna Unit (AAU) Market Size: Report, 2023-2028||Aug 2023|
|5G Network Security Market Size & Share, Industry Report, 2023 – 2028||Aug 2023|
|5G Small Cell Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023 – 2028||Aug 2023|