Drum Brakes Market Size, Share, Opportunities, And Trends By Type (Mechanical Type, Hydraulic Type, Pneumatic Assisted Type), By Band Type (4 Inches, 5 Inches, 6 Inches), By Vehicle Type (Passenger Vehicle, Commercial Vehicle), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Jun 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615591
- Pages : 140
The global drum brakes market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 4.18% during the forecast period.
A drum brake is a type of brake that utilizes brake shoes or pads to create friction against a rotating brake drum for stopping or slowing down a vehicle. Drum brakes provide uniform braking force regardless of the vehicle's direction of travel owing to which such brakes are commonly employed as the rear brakes. The most common types of drum brakes are mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic-assisted. The drum brakes market growth is propelled by factors like the high production of vehicles and application in commercial and passenger vehicles.
The growth in vehicle production drives the drum brakes market growth.
The durability and reliability of drum brakes contribute to their demand, especially in emerging economies with increasing vehicle production and as the number of vehicles manufactured grows, there is a corresponding rise in the requirement for braking systems, including drum brakes. This is due to the recognized durability and reliability that drum brakes offer in meeting the braking needs of the expanding vehicle market, thereby expanding the drum brakes market size. According to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association, in 2022, global motor vehicle production reached 85.4 million units, reflecting a 5.7% increase compared to the previous year 2021.
Rise in commercial vehicle production
The demand for drum brakes is driven by their widespread usage in commercial vehicles. The growth of the commercial vehicle sector, encompassing trucks, buses, and trailers, directly contributes to the increasing demand for drum brakes. Drum brakes offer better heat dissipation than disc brakes due to their larger surface area and such advantage is particularly beneficial for commercial vehicles that frequently face heavy loads and continuous braking. According to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) report in 2023, commercial vehicle production in India increased from 8.05 lakhs in FY 2021-2022 to 10.35 lakhs in FY 2022-2023.
Rise in passenger vehicle production
The increasing production of passenger vehicles is a key factor driving growth in the drum brake market, as the demand for passenger vehicles rises globally, so does the need for reliable and cost-effective braking systems. Drum brakes offer a viable solution, particularly in entry-level and mid-range vehicles, due to their durability and affordability. The growing drum brake industry in emerging economies, coupled with the aftermarket demand, further contributes to the expansion of the drum brake market. According to the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA) in 2022, passenger car production in China increased from 21.4 million in 2021 to 23.83 million in 2022, which was an increase of 11.34%.
Asia Pacific region is expected to dominate the market.
The Asia Pacific region is poised to be a dominant force in the drum brake market due to the region's high vehicle production rates and extensive manufacturing capabilities which have contributed to the increased demand for drum brakes. Additionally, the abundant availability of resources, such as raw materials and skilled labor, further strengthens the market's growth potential in this region. According to the Census and Economic Information Centre (CEIC), motor vehicle production in India reached 5,456,857 units in December 2022, marking an increase from the previous figure of 4,399,112 units recorded in December 2021.
Shift toward disc brakes will restrain the drum brakes industry's growth.
The automotive industry has been experiencing a gradual transition towards disc brakes, primarily driven by the safety features they offer. Disc brakes are preferred in passenger cars and high-performance vehicles due to their stopping power and efficient heat dissipation. As a result, the growing demand for disc brakes poses a challenge to the growth of the drum brake market size. According to the Journal of Sustainable Development of Transport and Logistics, due to the implementation of discs the stopping distance, potentially reduced by up to 30%, and decrease the occurrence of high-speed rear-end collisions involving large trucks, with a potential reduction of approximately 43.2%.
- January 2023: At the Auto Expo 2023 on January 12, Brakes India, a TSF Group company and part of the erstwhile TVS group, introduced their newly designed and developed Motor on Drum brakes specifically for the passenger car segment.
- November 2022: Continental, launches the innovative lightweight design of the drum brake reducing its overall mass by approximately 35%. This significant reduction brings the EPB-Si with a Lightweight Drum brake system closer in mass to a caliper and disc brake assembly.
- May 2022: ZF Aftermarket launched a new brake fluid on May 26, 2022, this brake fluid provides enhanced safety in all ABS (Anti-lock Braking systems) with the improved pedal feel and braking comfort with an additional high water tolerance feature.
- S-CAM brakes (drum): This product is made by MGM brakes and includes features such as an external breather tube system, epoxy-coated inside and out for extra protection in unusually tough, corrosive operating environments, extra parking force, and weld-reinforced mounting bolts.
- Hydraulic Drum Brakes: Hydraulic drum brakes made by Knott Brake Company is a combination of the efficiency of drum brakes with the flexibility of a hydraulic actuation system, meaning that they are an excellent solution to any number of braking requirements.
- ERD HBF Electrically Released Bi-functional Brake: This product is made by Warner Electric and includes based on the Electro-Release Hydraulic amplified brake type ERDH. A low-magnetic moving armature is added between the armature and the friction disc assembly.
- Service Brake: This is a product by Nifo that allows the vehicle to reduce the speed of a moving vehicle or machinery by transforming it into heat, through the friction of mechanical elements (jaws against the drums or pads against the discs), all through a mechanical or hydraulic drive.
Drum Brakes Market Scope:
|Growth Rate||CAGR of 4.18% from 2021 to 2028|
|Forecast Period||2023 – 2028|
|Forecast Unit (Value)||USD Billion|
|Segments Covered||Type, Band Type, Vehicle Type, and Geography|
|Regions Covered||North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific|
|Companies Covered||Warner Electric (Altra Industrial Motion), Continental AG, MGM Brakes (Indian Head Industries Inc.), AKEBONO BRAKE INDUSTRY CO., LTD, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, Knott Brake Company, BK Co, Ltd., NIFO S.R.L|
|Customization Scope||Free report customization with purchase|
- By Type
- Mechanical Type
- Hydraulic Type
- Pneumatic Assisted Type
- By Band Type
- 4 inches
- 5 inches
- 6 inches
- By vehicle type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Commercial Vehicle
- By Geography
- North America
- South America
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- North America
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Scope of the Study
1.4. Market Segmentation
1.7. Base, and Forecast Years Timeline
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. DRUM BRAKES MARKET ANALYSIS, BY TYPE
5.2. Mechanical Type
5.3. Hydraulic Type
5.4. Pneumatic Assisted Type
6. DRUM BRAKES MARKET ANALYSIS, BY BAND TYPE
6.2. 4 Inches
6.3. 5 Inches
6.4. 6 Inches
7. DRUM BRAKES MARKET ANALYSIS, BY VEHICLE TYPE
7.2. Passenger Vehicle
7.3. Commercial Vehicles
8. DRUM BRAKES MARKET ANALYSIS, BY GEOGRAPHY
8.2. North America
8.3. South America
8.5. Middle East and Africa
8.5.1. Saudi Arabia
8.6. Asia Pacific
8.6.3. South Korea
9. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
9.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
9.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
9.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
9.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
10. COMPANY PROFILES
10.1. Warner Electric (Altra Industrial Motion)
10.2. Continental AG
10.3. MGM Brakes (Indian Head Industries Inc.)
10.4. AKEBONO BRAKE INDUSTRY CO., LTD
10.5. ZF Friedrichshafen AG
10.6. Knott Brake Company
10.7. BK Co., Ltd.
10.8. NIFO S.R.L
Warner Electric (Altra Industrial Motion)
MGM Brakes (Indian Head Industries Inc.)
AKEBONO BRAKE INDUSTRY CO., LTD
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
BK Co, Ltd.
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Automotive Braking System Market Size & Share: Report, 2021-2026||Sep 2021|
|Electronic Brake Force Distribution System (EBD) Market: 2022-2027||Nov 2022|
|Automotive Seatbelt Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2022-2027||Dec 2022|
|Fuel Filters Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Apr 2023|
|Parking Brakes Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2023 - 2028||Jun 2023|