5G NR RAN Market Size, Share, Opportunities And Trends By Technology (Massive MIMO, Non-Massive MIMO), By Spectrum Band (Sub-6 GHz, MmWave), By Architecture (Centralized RAN, Virtual RAN, Open RAN), By Deployment (Standalone, Non-Standalone), And By Geography - Forecasts From 2023 To 2028
- Published : Apr 2023
- Report Code : KSI061615191
- Pages : 146
The 5G NR RAN market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 22.28% to reach US$76.269 billion by 2028, from US$ 22.819 billion in 2022.
The emergence of several base station regulations and standards, in addition to their transition to open systems, along with developments in hardware performance, has enabled the global adoption of NR RAN.
- Growing 5G Deployments and Investments in NR RAN
Various governments have initiated the deployment of 5G technology across their respective nations. Consequently, growing investments in 5G technology can also be witnessed. For instance, in December 2022, Ericsson, a provider of telecom equipment, stated that it is expanding operations and production capacity in Pune, India with partner Jabil as it prepares for the rollout of 5G networks in the country.
Furthermore, the deployment of 5G technology is enhanced through NR RAN. A RAN, or Radio Access Network, aids in the management of resources across radio locations. It links user equipment such as mobile phones or laptops to the main network, providing subscriber information, location, and so on. Therefore, owing to its useful nature, increased investments, and partnerships can also be witnessed. For example,
- In February 2022, NTT Docomo chose Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and other firms to collaborate on the "5G Open RAN Ecosystem," with the goal of globalizing open radio access networks (RAN) and enabling flexible network deployment to accommodate different enterprises and operator demands in the 5G future.
EMERGING OPPORTUNITIES IN THE GLOBAL 5G NR RAN MARKET
- MASSIVE MIMO
By technology, 5G NR RAN is divided into Massive MIMO and Non-Massive MIMO. Massive MIMO will hold a notable share during the projected period, owing to growing investments and partnerships.
Qualcomm formed a partnership with Rakuten to collaborate to develop a next-generation 5G Radio Unit (RU) with Massive MIMO capabilities and distributed units (DUs). Rakuten selected Qualcomm for the worldwide deployment of O-RAN. Qualcomm® X100 5G RAN Accelerator Card and high-performance Massive MIMO Qualcomm® QRU100 5G RAN Platform will be used for deployment.
NEC announced the successful demonstration of its leading Open RAN massive MIMO capabilities for the O-RAN ALLIANCE Global PlugFest 2021 at five of its venues, hosted by leading operators and the Telecom Infra Project (TIP).
By deployment, NR RAN is divided into standalone and non-standalone. Standalone is among the core elements of the 5G network. Connectivity, mobility, and user authentication, as well as other essential management functions, are implemented through Standalone (SA). Owing to its growing usage for the expansion of 5G technology across the globe, various market players are investing to expand their distribution networks as well as product portfolios. For instance,
in October 2022, India’s telecom operator Jio selected Ericsson for its 5G SA rollout. The 5G network for Jio will be built with Ericsson's energy-efficient 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) products and solutions (from the Ericsson Radio System range).
The global 5G NR RAN market consists of some major countries that have been undertaking various measures to secure their 5G network across their respective nations. A few of the major countries include the USA, Japan, South Korea, China, and Germany. The countries have undertaken various measures, which have complemented the overall market growth. For instance,
- In September 2021, NEC and Fujitsu stepped up their open radio network access (RAN) play by announcing a collaboration on interoperability testing for 5G base stations that conform to specifications from the O-RAN Alliance. The initiative also falls under the remit of Japan's New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO).
- In January 2022, Nokia and SK Telecom collaborated to deliver a new virtualized RAN network in Korea. They have completed a proof-of-concept (PoC) demonstration of Korea's world's first 5G 64TRX wireless-based Cloud Radio Access Network (vRAN).
- In December 2022, Samsung deployed 10,000 vRAN Cell Sites Across the US along with Verizon. The step has been toward achieving Verizon’s goal of deploying 20,000 vRAN sites by 2025. Samsung’s 5G vRAN solutions, provide Verizon with a network that scales easily, allows for rapid upgrades and can be flexibly managed with centralized resources.
MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE MARKET
Some of the leading players in the market include Fujitsu, Nokia, Samsung, and Qualcomm Technologies, among others These firms have undertaken various business strategies such as product launches, investments, and partnerships to expand their product offerings. For instance,
- In December 2020, Fujitsu formed a partnership with KDDI. Fujitsu's O-RAN compatible 5G Radio Unit was selected by KDDI Corporation for the construction of a virtualized base station for 5G commercial services in Japan.
- In August 2021, Samsung announced its next-generation Virtualized RAN with enhanced capabilities. Its capacity will be increased by using hardware accelerators.
- In May 2022, Nokia and Red Hat announced the launch of Cloud RAN Solutions. The alliance has successfully conducted lab testing and proof of concepts (POCs). They have been working on integrating RAN components with the capabilities of the underlying container-based architecture.
The global 5G NR RAN market has been analyzed through the following segments:
- By Technology
- Massive MIMO
- Non-Massive MIMO
- By Spectrum Band
- Sub-6 GHz
- By Architecture
- Centralized RAN
- Virtual RAN
- Open RAN
- By Deployment
- By Geography
- United States
- Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. Market Definition
1.3. Market Segmentation
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Bandwidth Availability
4.4. Number of Users
5. GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS/POLICIES
6. 5G NR RAN MARKET, BY TECHNOLOGY
6.2. Massive MIMO
6.3. Non-MASSIVE MIMO
7. 5G NR RAN MARKET, BY SPECTRUM BAND
7.2. Sub-6 GHz
8. 5G NR RAN MARKET, BY ARCHITECTURE
8.2. Centralized RAN
8.3. Virtual RAN
8.4. Open RAN
9. 5G NR RAN MARKET, BY DEPLOYMENT
10. 5G NR RAN MARKET, BY GEOGRAPHY
10.2.1. United States
10.3. Europe, Middle East and Africa
10.4. Asia Pacific
10.4.3. South Korea
11. RECENT DEVELOPMENT AND INVESTMENTS
12. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
12.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
12.2. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
13. COMPANY PROFILES
13.3. Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
13.4. Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
13.5. Qualcomm Technologies
Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
|Report Name||Published Month||Get Sample PDF|
|Global 5G Services Market Size & Share: Industry Report, 2022-2027||Jun 2022|
|Japan 5G Small Cell Market Size: Industry Report, 2023-2028||Feb 2023|
|Japan 5G Base Station Equipment Market Size: Report, 2023 – 2028||Feb 2023|
|5G Active Antenna Unit (AAU) Market Size: Report, 2023-2028||Apr 2023|
|5G Network Security Market Size & Share, Industry Report, 2023 – 2028||Apr 2023|